Thursday, October 13, 2011

War Within You

A Raging War

Each of us are at war unless we've already surrendered to the enemy! Surrender is the easiest option. Satan has terms of surrender which any defeated enemy will accept:

  • Feel free to love your god. He's you.
  • You can have many other gods for I don't care.
  • You can do your will without judgment from me.
  • I will deliver you from guilt in your sinning.
  • Pleasure will come your way and you may engage.
  • Your money is yours. I won't request a dime of it.
  • If you want what's not yours it can be yours for the having.
  • Authority is for fools. Obey only what you choose.
  • Love is of the flesh. Enjoy it.
  • Be happy in your possessions. Nothing is more important than that you're happy.
  • Your neighbor is your enemy. Destroy him before he destroys you.
  • Jesus is my brother. I only want you to love me as others do Him.
  • Don't be confused by right or wrong. It's all relative.
  • You have a contentious wife. Trade her for another.
  • You must allow your kids to choose god for themselves. I will train them.
  • Spend your time in pursuit of fun. I don't want deep thoughts to bore you.
  • I don't want you to be alone in my utopia. Take along some friends.
  • Be like the world because God created it all. It must be good!
  • I don't require prayer. You are mine unconditionally.
  • If it feels good do it!
  • Many entertainers are my followers. Pay tribute to them.
  • Sex is just a mechanical function. Keep your machine running and drive it around.
  • You're okay, I'm Okay. We must recognize the good in ourselves.
  • Esteem yourself. You deserve it!
  • Think positively and it's yours. You don't have to worry about anyone's will.
  • You can violate God's law at your whim. You're saved anyway.
  • Don't even try to be Christlike. He's my enemy.
  • What you feel is more important than what God says. Go with your gut.
  • Reading the Bible will only confuse you. Get your views from my resources.
  • If you'll take my tonics it will remove your worries and stupid inhibitions.
  • You truly can get closer to God by opening your mind in meditation. Yoga will aid you in this.
  • The ministers of God are only after the money. They love me too.
  • You're fooling yourself if you think you can really avoid sin. Don't even try!
  • Believe in me and God will never bother you again. He only loves those who are his.

Romans (ESV) 7:21 ”So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.”

There are many laws. God created many scientific laws: Newton's First and Second Law, The Laws of Thermodynamics, and even “Einstein's Theory of Relativity” which has become law by public acclaim. The verses above name two other laws: 1) The “Law of God” and 2) “Another Law”. The “Law of God” is in your inner being. “Another Law” is in your flesh. God is the author of the former, Satan of the latter. War is being waged all the time. The Apostle Paul had war waging in him. We do too!

We all want to do right because the Spirit calls. However, we have that inborn sin within us which beacons our way and sets us up for failure. A corollary to the "Other Law " is “Satan will always be there to tempt you.” Satan delights in you following “Another Law” because it undermines Jesus. Satan knows that he's a loser. He knows the Bible too, but he wants to irritate God as long as he can and “steal His thunder” so to speak as he revels in your rebellion. Yes, we have a war waging within us, even Christians. If you apostatize you've surrendered. You have met the enemy and you are his!

As Christians we must persevere until the end. Paul likened it to a race. We don't give up before we cross the finish line. As one who perseveres in this war, there are requirements: believe in and follow your King! He will provide a full set of armor to protect you in battle. You must put on the armor and use it.

Ephesians (ESV) 6:11”Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.

If you will remember the “Terms of Surrender” above you may recognize them to be “schemes of the devil”. If you allow God he will be your protector in this war for your soul. God provides that set of armor to shield you from the arrows of temptation. Putting on that full armor only requires a commitment to your King, a humble attitude and love of the King and his people, and all the people are loved by the King!

If you're presently part of the devil's army. Mutiny now! Why go with a tyrant we know will lose the “War for Souls”. He will be cast into the bottomless pit by the King. Go with a winner! Go with the King!

No comments:

Post a Comment