Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Evil from Our Youth

Some say “I'm going to heaven... I've been good!” Have you, though?
.
(All ESV)
Genesis 8: 21 “And when the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, the LORD said in his heart, "I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done.””
.
When do we commence sinning? Immediately! From our youth... even as a toddler! “Don't call my precious little baby a sinner!” you say. The first thing a child does is lie: “No I didn't break that toy.”, for instance. Yes, a child sins, but isn't held accountable. We know that we are to be as little children. Jesus told us so. That doesn't mean that little children are exempt, but accept truth more readily.
.
The Jews have placed the age of accountability (AOA) at thirteen years old. At their Bar Mitzvah they are confirmed and held accountable (Bat Mitzvah for girls). The age of accountability is from the Talmud (Mishnah: Avot 5:21), the Talmud being the ancient Jewish writings (i.e., not scripture). Christians believe that children are accountable to God when they pass the age of innocence... a different age for each person (those retarded are exempt from accountability). Catholics hold a child accountable who have learned the catechism (teachings) at age 12 or 13.
.
Our beliefs are effected by tradition! I remember in my childhood and per-pubiescence that I wanted to sin (have pleasure) as much as I could throughout my twelfth year to get in all the fun I could. The age that I started rationalizing in that manner I was accountable! For me it was about six years old! I was an unsaved sinner at six!
.
Searching scripture, the most valid verse I could find to support the AOA is:
.
Deuteronomy 1:34 ““And the LORD heard your words and was angered, and he swore, 35 ‘Not one of these men of this evil generation shall see the good land (Canaan Land) that I swore to give to your fathers, 36 except Caleb the son of Jephunneh. He shall see it, and to him and to his children I will give the land on which he has trodden, because he has wholly followed the LORD!’ 37 Even with me the LORD was angry on your account and said, ‘You also shall not go in there. 38 Joshua the son of Nun, who stands before you, he shall enter. Encourage him, for he shall cause Israel to inherit it. 39 And as for your little ones, who you said would become a prey, and your children, who today have no knowledge of good or evil, they shall go in there. And to them I will give it, and they shall possess it.
.
As you see God allowed the righteous and the little children go into the Promised Land. Because Canaan land is a “picture” of salvation, the implication is that God allows the little children to go to heaven if they die! I'm sure they do, not because of Canaan Land, but because of his grace. Theologians account grace as the reason an infant is resurrected! God's grace means that a loving God would not punish those without the ability to understand the consequences of sin. The minute we realize that God doesn't want us to do wrong is when we must repent. We can't play games with age.
.
Acts adds a degree of support to the “grace” interpretation: Acts 16:31 “And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”” While it is likely this means that as religious leader of your house, if you're saved, by instruction, your family including your children, will share your faith, and by example. Infants MAY BE included because they aren't old enough to form a belief. However, God's grace is sufficient to cover the innocent.
.
If you're old enough to read this. You are accountable for your own salvation. If you're not saved, consider:
.
Romans 3:23 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
.
ALL includes children, adolescents and adults, both women and men... all races, and I must not leave out those of different sexual persuasions and confused gender identities. We all need salvation!
.
God's grace is sufficient for all us if we repent of our sins and believe in Jesus. Aint God good?

No comments:

Post a Comment