Friday, July 26, 2013

The "Weiner" Within You

We've all read about Anthony Weiner and his self-absorption. I'm going to surprise many!  "Anthony, I understand!"  What more could we expect?  This position needs a little clarifying since Anthony Weiner is anathema to all that I stand for and believe in. Ready?

Yesterday, I quoted Paul. We don't know what Paul struggled with, but even the apostle was a slave to the flesh.  Here's what Paul said in full context. (Excuse me that I am using the NIV since the KJV may be a little too hard to understand in these verses.) This is a "slave to the law of sin":

Romans 7: 14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16  And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

As a mortal this is the most important idea to understand. If we think that because we're Christians, we're above sin, then we are confused and deluded. The delusion of sinlessness is from the evil one and if we listen to him, we'll become reprobate!  Please reread until you comprehend!  Paul isn't bragging on the sin lurking within, but is speaking of the divine grace it takes from Jesus for us to be despicable in our ways, but still loved by Him!

Now, back to Anthony Weiner.  The "Weiny" has no business feigning contrition and asking forgiveneess, then running for public office. His priority should be on fixing "The Weiny", not New York!  Likewise, one should not ask the public to forgive until the person has altered the behavior!  Weiner should stay out of the lime-light until his devils are behind him. After that, a forgiving public will forgive!   (Weiner's political ideology is another story and Christians should forgive, but never vote for anyone whose ideas are so ungodly).

Paul was admitting, from a Christian perspective, that he was tormented by the flesh. Jesus died for all and all have the same infirmity (original sin) which tormented Paul. However, Paul was born again! He was a "New Man" in Christ. The blood shed by Christ was sufficient enough to propitiate for all Paul's sins (and ours as well)!  Paul publically told of the spiritual battle within him. That's honesty and meekness! Many of us Christians act as if we have no demons plaquing us, and in all honesty, Satan pretty well left me to my own desires, until I became a Christian, and since, his focus has been on undermining Christ in my life.

Weiner is of the Jewish faith and is probably not even a serious Jew.  His wife Huma Abedin is Islamic and their marriage was done in an interfaith ceremony. (Huma's parents and siblings are reported to be members of the Muslim Brotherhood, an extremist terrorist organization).  Whereas, Paul's sins were of a born-again dedicated Christian, Anthony Weiner denies Jesus (as a Jew) and his sins remain unforgiven, assuming that as a Jew he hasn't asked Jesus for forgiveness, What type of sinner is Weiner? Sexual sins are the least of his problems (with God). He is a rabid abortionist and his rabidity in voting 100% with those in the abortion movement, is a serious sin in deprecating god-given human life!

However, Weiner is no different than Paul, you and me!  We all have that same fleshly desire residing in us. Christians battle it contantly.  "I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing!" I'm going to dub that evil as "The Weiner Within You"!  Yes, Anthony; I understand. I have the same problem which you have! So did Paul. Satan tried it with Jesus by tempting Him for forty-days. Jesus remained sinless and although he was in a human body, and understood, he stood rigidly. Jesus knows what we go through. He's "been there, done that"!  That's why his grace is sufficient!  Paul said this about that:

2 Corinthians 12:9 "And he said unto me (Paul), My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Yes, God is graceful! Although we all have the "Weiner Within Us", by his grace, if we fervently believe in Him, we escape the punishment we deserve!

Weiner could say "I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." just as Paul said in his letter to the Romans.  I'm sure that Weiner hated what he did, but somehow the pleasure he received in presenting his manhood to shocked young women exceeded his desire for self-control. Since Weiner has no motivation to be Christlike, the Holy Spirit didn't help him out. On the other hand, Paul had a Comforter: God himself. The Holy Spirit.

Paul said (Romans 7 again)  "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."  Likewise, I'm sure Weiner doesn't understand why he does silly, even deviate behavior. We can tell by his lies and protective statements that he does care what people think and wants to be respected by his peers, but he's a weak man! He hates what he does because it destroys him, but the pleasure for him is just too great.  Since he had no Savior to please, he pleases himself. He does as he pleases. This behavior is self-destructive. It has probably ruined his political career, the respect of his son (as he gets older) and who knows the true effect on his marriage. If Weiner had any type of relationship with God at all, then he is out of communion with God (However, Scripture tells us that God does not commune with sinners).

I understand your predictament, Mr. Weiner. I won't judge you for falling into this sin.

Sripture tells us :

Matthew 7:1 " Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3  And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

I can't condemn Mr.Weiner. I share my humanity with him. Paul did too!  I can rebuke him by telling him wat God says about sin, but I have to always remember that I have my own "Weiner within me".

I'm not running for office where trust should be paramount. He is. It is the business of others! It's not just a marital problem.  Mr. Weiner needs to repent just as I have to repent daily. My own repentence is important because I want to commune with God with a clear consious. Mr. Weiner's repentence must be done out of faith in Jesus, in sincerity, and with change in mind. Furthermore, if Mr. Weiner will ever feel contrition enough to apologize to his maker, then he will clean up the rest of his life as well!  A realistic person knows that when one is sinful (or dishonest) in one area, it's not in that one area alone. Dishonesty, with repetition, becomes more than just a sin, it becomes a personality trait, and if a person's not careful they becoem reprobate (beyond help)!

 









No comments:

Post a Comment