Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Busybodies

1 Peter 4:15 "But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters."

We all know what a murderer, a thief and an evil-doer are, but what's a busybody? The NIV uses the term "meddler". Well, there's a reason! A "busybody" is someone who meddles in the private affairs of another. Some people are more worried about the life of others more than they are their own!

It's useful to think in terms of systems. That's the way external forces are identified. You and your surroundings are a "system". That system would include your family, your home, who you choose as friends, your job, your education, your beliefs etc. Some external "forces" are, of course, the devil, your enemies, acquaintances, superficial friends, the government, dangerous entities and evil-doers in general, to include murderers and thieves.

As a person lives day to day in a system, the person can loathe that life, be content but troubled or be joyous. Most people are content, but troubled, but most of us should be joyous based on our blessings! What makes people loathe their life, be contented or be joyous? The obvious answer is whether people have the promise of eternal life or not!  "Other outside forces" are other people or other things.

A supervisor loved his job, but hated going to work. While most people were in harmony,  others reacted adversely to his system. There was always at least one person who made the day bad. The outside force (one meddling employee) made the work experience a drag from day-to-day. The supervisor's contentment was disrupted by anxiety supplied by the external force; the actions of one trouble-making employee.

Let's examine how imbalance is introduced into a balanced system. The supervisor functioning with normal efficiency with hard-working employees using proper methods and machinery makes life copacetic. This is a balanced system. Then one employee becomes disgruntled for some reason. That disgruntled employee works outside the balanced system to make things fail. The employee is still part of the system, but whatever made him disgruntled initiated the imbalance. To bring the system back into balance the cause for the effect of "disgruntlement" must be discovered and dealt with!

In life the imbalance effecting (and affecting) a person's happiness is due to one being disgruntled. They are unhappy with themselves or their life so they seek to destroy the lives of others. That person begins to meddle. They busy themselves with the business of others. The meddlers are busybodies and meddling is the tool for making the other persons life out of balance.

Busybodies, by definition, disrupt the systems of others. They meddle into things that should not pertain to them, let alone be any of their business!  Let's say that a Christian is doing his (or her) best to live a righteous life. The Christian tries, but at times fails. God forgives if there is contrition! The Fifty-first Psalm is all about contrition and forgiveness even for the worst offense! Here is a portion of it for quick review:

From Psalm 51:

1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.

17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

In personal spiritual lives it's between the individual and the Lord only, as a person deals with the sins of life. It's hard enough being sorry for what is known that's been done wrong without others adding to it!  A meddler (busybody) steps in and makes communion with God even more difficult! Satan puts a busybody on our doorstep for one reason; to make it harder than necessary to live a righteous life. That makes Satan happy. People not only must come to terms for their actual sins, but also the perceived sins, allegations and accusations made by the busybody.

Busybodies rob the person who sins from a clean heart and right spirit. They see to it that joy is not restored, and in fact that joy is robbed from a person's salvation. Although God forgives and casts not away, busybodies make sure a Christian's broken spirit remains broken. Busybodies are confounds to a Christian's life. They are placed there by Satan to confuse the system. By doing so their motivation is to damn.

Busybodies don't recognize themselves! They believe they are there to check the system; to oil the cogs to make the system's gears turn smoothly. They are the lubricant without dirt nor grime which they add as they see fit, to make sure the others motions move along to their own standards.  Busybodies are mentioned right there along with thieves, evil-doers and murderers! They steal joy from the soul of others. They do that by doing evil and by doing evil the Christian's spirit is murdered. They condemn by judging harshly!

Busybodies are self-righteous and Pharisaical in their methods. Whereas, the commandments are  still in effect, busybodies add "works" to make obedience to the commandments impossible. A Christian living righteously is told he's a hypocrite because he can't keep the entire law. That's meddling! Who needs a busybody to add guilt to the guilt a Christian who already feels conviction when not measuring up to God's standards?  Busybodies are non-valued added. They are expendable and sinful!

Are busybodies always with us? Most assuredly! They will be with us always. Steer clear of those who make your pilgrim pathway full of roadblocks. Although they're the enemy, pray for them! Prayer does change things!  Here would be my psalm:

Lord, I desire strength, but I am weak.
I fail, but my cup is full of sorrow.
Your spirit chastises me. I have contrition.
I endeavor to do your will, but fail still.
My enemies make my spirit their business.
Meddlers relish in my despair. My joy is gone.
Heap ashes on the heads of evil-doers.
Rebuke those who murder my spirit.
Turn their accusations into righteous love.
Dilute their poison with living waters.
Allow me solace and return my joy.
Accept my works as evidence of love.
Allow me to finish the race. Knock down the hurdles.
Walk with me in my faith and let me endure.
Let me see the promised land. Let my enemies be there.





No comments:

Post a Comment