Monday, December 23, 2013

Best Christmas Gifts

I'm not much for Christmastime. I don't like to shop and hate to see those I love disappointed when what I buy is really horrible! I also miss some of my family at this time of year; those living and those gone. I'm pretty much into giving money because it seems that most people like getting money. However, trading money is silly! I'm not a scrooge by any means, but I just miss the Christmas's of my childhood. We seldom got presents, but when we did it was clothing. Not outside wear clothing, but underwear and socks. Few people seldom saw what we got for Christmas!

What I remember most about Christmas was the fruit and candy that we didn't get at other times of the year. Most memorable was sitting around the kitchen table and laughing and having a good time with family in spite of their being little to give nor receive. There was no tension or stress because there was no jealousy because someone got better than another, or because someone was forgotten. No one had hurt feelings for not getting because none of us "got".

We got what we expected and were happy since we didn't deserve anything. Gifts are not payment for doing something, but outward expressions of love. Instead of gifts which represented love, we got the real thing. We got love in action!

Some believe that they must buy a person much to show how much they love them. I submit that buying quantities of gifts conceals the love that should be easily seen. I knew Mom and Dad loved me more than anything although they didn't shower me with gifts. I thank them for not doing that!

The best gifts Dad gave me were tears and a lump in his throat when I went off to college. I was totally on my own after that and he foresaw it. What a great gift! What a great memory! If you don't have a memories of wanting, but not getting, you missed the best gift of all. You missed maturity!

Since I'm not into cheap gifts of Christmas figurines, tupperwear or faux  diamond jewelry... or even toys, electronic or otherwise, I have here the gifts that I have:

For my rebellious son I give you UNCONDITIONAL LOVE and GOOD ADVICE.
For my daughter I give FATHERLY LOVE and WISDOM TO DISCERN
For my middle son I give GENUINE LOVE and ENCOURAGEMENT.
For my step-daughter I give DEVOTED LOVE and PEACE.
For my step-son-in-law I give THANKFUL LOVE and a THANK YOU.
For my grandaughters I give HAPPY LOVE and a LEGACY
For my grandson I give SIMPLE LOVE and a FUTURE.
For my wife I give ALL MY LOVE and DEVOTION.
To my siblings I give BROTHERLY LOVE and GOOD MEMORIES.
For my friends I also give BROTHERLY LOVE and MANY THANKS.
For my preacher I give GODLY LOVE and GRATITUDE.
For God I give ALL MY LOVE and ME! (That's all I have.)

Now here's a list of what I want:

I want LOVE and HUGS from my grandchildren, children, friends and preacher. I want FORGIVENESS from the Lord and from my wife I want ATTENTION, FIDELITY, UNITY and TWO KINDS OF LOVE: PHILIO and EROS. All the gifts that I have asked for cost nothing. They shouldn't be too hard to give.

Now that's a cheap Christmas for any others to give and a valuable Christmas to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment