Saturday, March 1, 2014

Truth

I believe it was Will Rogers who said something to the effect of "I heard a new version of the truth and did all that I could to further it."

Many pass along their bias. New truth is invented to support opinions. There is a difference between opinion and truth!  Opinion is a confident opinion about truth held without proof, whereas truth is when something conforms to fact. People confuse opinion and fact for narcissistic reasons!

Often in Bible Study the leader often quotes a passage and says "What do you think this means?" Many express and opinion, but that opinion is without foundation! "Thinking" something is true is truly an opinion!  Some of us use commentaries written by educated experienced scholars. Many have backgrounds in the ancient languages and history as well as familiarity with scripture, the textus receptus, astronomy, mathematics and the early writings of church fathers. Likewise, they are familiar with canon and biblical inspiration. Furthermore, writers are diligent lifelong Christians tested in the faith! What they say does matter. It's educated opinion. However educated the opinion is, it's not fact!

I put little store in what they lay-person "thinks". That includes me!  Although I base my opinion on the internally consistent inerrant word of God, my understanding is limited not only by knowledge, but also by my Christian maturity and how righteous I'm living. In addition  I'm biased toward certain doctrines. Read, but don't accept, what I write unless doubtful opinions are tested by learned commentators and scripture itself. Likewise, when reading commentary by others, test it by the word!  

Now it's time to be honest! I'm Arminian in doctrine, fundamental in belief, and non-charismatic. I do believe in the Acts of the Apostles, but am of the opinion that it was a special time in history to advance the budding church. With that said, I question the modern-day practice of speaking in tongues and see that "gift" as divisive. However, many gifts enumerated in Acts are desirable for contemporary Christian living. I believe in sanctification as a second work of grace, not only because it's taught, but because I experienced it!  I believe that all scripture, although applicable to those hearing at the time, also applies to mankind for the ages. What Paul wrote in Hebrews is as applicable to gentiles as it is to the Jews. What's written to the Romans also applies to all!  Excusing biblical truth because it is spoken to certain listeners is biased theology and is untruthful!

Preachers are often untruthful just as any person. They fail just as we all do! I remember when I was a kid the preacher would say (while doing the altar call) "Just one more verse of this song and we'll end!" Thirty minutes later they were still going strong. My thoughts as a teen" "Lying preacher!" Lying for righteous reasons is still untruthful! Many preachers lie to support their doctrine. It's not that they are intentionally lying, but that they have been misled by those who preceded them. Many fundamentalists believe the lie, as do many liberal theologians!

An example of untruthful theology lies in the Landmark Baptist belief in succession of Baptist preachers and the Baptist faith direct and unbroken from John the Baptist until the present. Trail of Blood purports to objectively present the "truth" that Baptists have always been. To make their case basically any group of believers who rejected Catholic doctrine are defined as "Baptists", including heretical sects and some that never even baptized by immersion! Such commentary is dogmatic and untruthful! It's not supported by fact! Catholics believe in papal secession. Landmark Baptists are just as prideful in their belief as are the very Catholics they oppose in doctrine. 

Credibility is sustained by pure and unabridged truth by habit. A single time a person is dishonest brings in question their honesty; their integrity. We must all be beyond reproach. If one is always truthful we don't have to remember our lies.  Mark Twain said "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." So valid!

Actually Will paraphrased St. John:
John 8:32 "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

This verse has two applications: 1) When truth is told we're not a slave to the lies we've told. Honesty comes naturally. We don't have to be on guard that our stories are straight. That's freedom! 2) God is truth! Believing in God will make us free. Free from what? Fear! Fear of death, fear of eternal punishment and fear of the unknown. Freedom form fear is called "hope".

John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Jesus is truth! Why he said he was dying and it's happening is conformance to what's factual. If Jesus said he was dying to save you, then he did just that, that is truth!

John 17:17 "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy (God's) word is truth."

There is one source of truth and one only! God is truth. Any other source of information has error, either intentional, out of pride or by error. God is omniscient. He is all knowing and is without error. By accepting truth we are sanctified; we are set apart. We're an elite group of believers. Most people accept partial truth, but few accept total proof. Some partially accept God while few accept him unequivocally!

As for myself I'm very dogmatic in my doctrine. However, I recognize that! I grew up attending various churches each with divergent doctrines. Not one did I fully accept although all were on track in most cases. My frame of reference of course, is how scripture is understood by me. When in question, I prayed about it and found my answer! Others who disagree with me did the same yet we differ. How can that be? Simply, God doesn't want us to be know-it-alls! If we were so, we've eaten of the fruit of the tree ourselves and are just as sinful as our antecedents! We're to be as little children, believing without question. Trusting! 

The apostles differed in doctrine, but were honest about it! There was division in the early church. Paul called on the church to be in unity:

1 Corinthians 1:11"For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 12 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?"

If we differ on opinion we are to agree to disagree for unity's sake, so as not to divide against Christ. There are essential truths on which we must stand firm. For those essential truths seek discernment from the word, prayer and admonishment from steadfast believers in Christ. Those from whom we seek guidance are those who honestly divide opinion from truth and if all thence their commentary is all truthful.

This instant commentary is opinion as are all my "Daily Thoughts". I do my best pass along truth, but my thoughts are seen through tinted glasses. What I believe is based not only on scripture, but on all who came before me. Much "wisdom" I rejected and that which closely paralleled scripture, I endeavored to retain. That is my advice for you! Never accept dogmatism for the sake of denominationalism, notwithstanding that denominations do impart basic truths which keeps us from heretical doctrine much of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment