Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Brothers

Brothers mean much! That's the second most early relationship one has. While close friends can be like brothers, only brothers can be truly that close.

Jesus called two sets of brothers to be apostles.
Matthew 4:18 "And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers." 
Matthew 4:21 "And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them."
What's more Jesus saw that brothers who did things together were what he wanted! In both cases Jesus chose brothers who fished together. There is camaraderie in fishing together, but just being a part of each others lives shows togetherness. There's just something "right" about brothers who just enjoy being with each other. I suppose knowing a brother and being a good brother is a good start on being a good brother in Christ!

My own brothers mean much to me! They all don't get along as brothers should, but I get along with all them. I'm not minimizing my only great sister, but it's obvious that brother and sister can't be as close as brothers. It's the nature of us. We can idolize a sister, but brothers just complement one another. The older ones can set an example, and the younger ones follow. The younger children are often the composite of the older brothers. we get their "good" and "bad" alike!

I didn't spend enough time with my older brothers as we all grew older. I had my own life and they and they had theirs. Only after two were gone did I realize that brothers are precious. Here's my take on brothers and what they mean to me:

BROTHERS

There is much we share.
Each born with history the same.
Years apart we are not a pair,
but we share the same surname.

We were conceived in like manner.
We are of the same two.
As family we fly the same banner,
and together always together we grew!

We bickered, argued and fought.
We played and had a good time.
Truth and fact is what we sought,
each working hard for each dime!

Always while differing we were the same.
Our opinions and likes were molded early.
When in trouble we were quick to blame,
but in the end we loved the other dearly!

It's so wrong when siblings hate!
With each other we're a total part.
My brother I will never forsake.
I love them all right from the heart!

Some brothers differ so!
With the same parents how can that be?
We each choose – friend or foe,
I choose wisely, it's friend for me!

We brothers are six in number.
With one sister we are seven.
As two are gone, we are somber.
Two we hope are at home in heaven!

Who shall be next we think?
Shall it be the one who ails?
Time will tell as life's a blink,
ringing for each the dreaded death bells.

Health means nothing for our hope.
It could be that I'm the one.
It could be me and death who elope.
Rather me than others gone!

The first said “I have my brothers!”
as he lay down on death's bed.
Children should never precede their mothers.
A mother without her child is already dead!

However, now we each have the other.
Our time together is without measure.
We all each have our brother!
Brothers are indeed a family treasure!

Some brothers aren't so blessed.
They fight and spar or have total silence.
But for me, my brothers are best!
My heart's not stirred with inner violence.

God has been really good you see!
He picked my brothers way in advance.
No greater  brothers can there be...
I thank them for my life so  enhanced!

Each time we visit may be the last.
We part with that thought so strong.
Each visit now becomes the past.
Cherish each for to each we belong.

Yes, brothers are blessed so!
Our day for each other is each day.
My brothers make my heart glow!
With that said what more could I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment