Wednesday, August 13, 2014

On Self-Righteousness

I was called "self-righteous" by another person, even a Christian. Of course another Christian, if knowledgeable of the scripture, should know that there is a difference in being "self-righteous" and "holy".

I must write on this because when a friend calls a name, it hurts! It took me quite some time to look at my own motives, and yes, at times, I do feel  as if I'm doing it on my own! Regardless, I'm not going to give up on living as God would have me to live because I fail at times. I will persevere and practice self-control although it would be much easier to just give up and disappoint God!

A synonym for "self-righteousness" is "pharistical.  That raises the question: what did they do to be self-righteous.
Luke 18:9 (ESV) "He (Jesus) also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’
The Pharisees were not of God's Kingdom. We know that because Jesus referred to them as vipers (Matthew 3:7 among other places). Jesus would never call his children vipers, that being shorthand for the serpent, Satan.

Here then we have two people, both examples of sinners. The Pharisees "trusted in themselves that they were righteous". That's being "self-righteous". God is not in the picture. They falsely humbled themselves, thinking that  their own works were "good", and as we discussed before, God only is "good". All others are sinners and are in danger of eternal damnation (Romans 3:23). So we have here that "self-righteousness" equals "pharistical" equals "vipers" equals  "of Satan". That's not nice to call other Christians vipers, let alone Satanic. That's harsh judgment!
John 7:24 "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."
The person doing the judging was being harsh in tone and manner. Knowing that person's theology, being Calvinistic, holy living is optional. Salvation, to them,  is assured even for the most wicked!

Luke 18:13 speaks of the sinner who is humble and seeks righteousness by the mercy of God in heaven. His is an example of meekness. He sought to be "made right" through God, not by his own doings!

For my point: Christians are not self-righteous when they seek to be  holy. Calling a Christian brother a "snake" is unfair and judging by a different standard than you want others to judge you! Yes, we make feeble attempts when practicing self-control, and we don't always manifest a right spirit, but yet we are to be Christlike in our behavior and thoughts:
1 Peter 1:15 "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. 17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear..."
We know from context that the scripture pertains to Christians. We're to pattern ourselves after God and "be holy". Our feeble attempt at being holy is hardly unholiness (aka self-righteousness). In fact those who make no attempt to be holy are the people who are sinful. They accuse others of sin when it is they who are failing to obey God!

In short, if we're pagan and seek righteousness by "doing good" we truly are being self-righteous. If we're Christians and "do good" because we're trying to please God and be like him, that's not self-righteousness, that's what God calls us to do. How well we do that depends on our sincerity. We continually ask ourselves the question: "Am I engaging in this "manner of conversation" or activity because I revere God or for self-aggrandisement? I can ask that question of myself, but others can't. To do so is judging harshly and unfairly, I might add!

As for myself, I assure the reader that I've got better things to do than fake being holy. Sometimes it's really hard because I'm tempted to sin just as everyone else and often do. However, I have an obligation not to sin, because each time I sin, I've made a wrong choice. Face it, I won't forgo pleasure for a facade'. I just find it easy to be sin free with regard to outward sins. I have trouble with the sins of the heart. It's easy not to curse, not to lie, not to blaspheme, not to have idols, etc, but it's truly hard to love! That's my "thorn in the side" and it's the most important to do! Please excuse me while I do the easy ones, but am troubled by those inside which make it hard for me to submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment