Sunday, January 25, 2015

Why call that Good?

I've heard the description so much the last few days that American Sniper is "so good". I beg to differ, not using my standards nor the world's, but Gods:
Matthew 19:17 And he (Jesus) said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God:
"Goodness" is reserved for God! Sure we use the expression to describe mundane things all the time, but "goodness" is a characteristic of God, and too many people too often apply evil things as "good". Is it so strange that in English "God" and "Good" are distinguished by only one letter "o"? It's as if it was meant to be! I suppose that the "o" could mean "ordinary" because if we take the "ordinary" out of "Good", it leaves "God"! Since the ordinary is the mundane, perhaps the "ordinary" should be taken from the "good" and "good" be used for extraordinary things, meaning God.

"American Sniper is a "good" movie" they say. It may have been "done well", have exact acting, represent life to a tee, be patriotic, honor fallen men or praise America's prowess is protecting us, but the movie was not "good"! It used evil to entertain. Filthy words, cursing, sexual performances and the like are not "good". They are evil! Those watching American Sniper were not watching a "good" movie. It was evil they were watching! Even the glorification of killing is something we should not watch for pleasure.  It too is evil!

God does not honor the proud. It's the meek who shall inherit the earth. Rather than magnifying our soldiers for fighting our battles and winning, but crediting God for the grace in protecting a people once his! How do we repay God? We honor his support by using filthy language and cursing? God cannot be honored by evil and evil men aren't great! They can do great things, but greatness is much more than killing for our nation. Greatness is crediting God for what each of us are enabled to do!

Throughout the Old Testament, and an example are the fallen walls of Jericho, God either used few men or no men to destroy the enemies. At Jericho the men walked around the city and God destroyed the barrier walls and the enemies. It is God that did "good" and people were no more than distracting witnesses! At other times God did use mere men, and David is an example, but it wasn't David who killed Goliath, it was God. Goliath was killed by faith in God! In the movie American Sniper, there was no evidence in faith in God, but fearful men putting fear aside in support of their nation. That's noble, but "goodness" goes beyond heroic performances!

The question "What would Jesus do?" (WWJD) provides an answer for me every time... if I only listen to God  rather than others. "Should I sit in a movie such as that?' What would Jesus do? The answer is obvious: Christ is Christlike and filthy lucre is not righteous. Jesus would not and could not be entertained by filth, yet here we Christians, sit there and listen to Gatling-gun-like filth, and then go to church and praise God! How ironic! We honor God by being righteous not unrighteous:
Matthew 5:6 "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled."
Matthew 13:43a Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.
Being pleasured by the things of the world is NOT "thirsting after righteousness"! It is setting aside "what's right and pure" for a time so that we can enjoy being served from the platter of Satan. It's the devil and his angels who present "f this" and "sh that" and "gd it". Sitting in Satan's slime is not righteousness and while we're sitting in the slime Satan smiles. We are set apart, but we're sanctified in evil.

Do we go "directly to jail" as the jailbird in Monopoly does? God metes out punishment, not me thankfully, and God is merciful. He knows that mankind is prone to fall for deception! We always did and we always will! However, "the righteous shine forth as the sun". Those who faithfully follow and obey God will get some type of extra "crown" in heaven. I assure you, that crown will be worth so much more than a two-hour movie and that's what we do in trade to miss that crown!
1 Corinthians 6:9a "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived..."
I find myself sitting in a movie house! A pastor from a local church enjoins me on-screen "enjoy the movie as he smiles and goes in himself". I am there and ready to watch! I had seen many previews and read reviews. None had forewarned me of what I was about to see! Within 30 seconds I was astounded at the enormity of filth it was too late to undo. Rather than leaving and set an example. I failed! I stayed so as not to offend others, although I was offending God! I had just been "deceived", but scripture tells me "be not deceived!". Who deceived me? You guessed it... the evil one! I listened to him rather than the other tug I felt. The tug of the Spirit to leave the place. I disobeyed. Perhaps I don't deserve a crown!

Discernment is being led by scripture, obeying the voice of the Holy Spirit and doing what's "good". Listening to filthy trash is not discerning and by ignoring the voice of the Holy Spirit, it was Evil to whom I obeyed.

I was deceived and that shall be for me to always watch.





No comments:

Post a Comment