Friday, February 13, 2015

Blessed and Don't Deserve It

Back in the Bush 2 era, the government gave us some of our own money back! The economy was slow and George W. Bush wanted to kick-start it by pumping some money into people's pockets. The intent wasn't to get people to pay off bills, but to encourage spending. Terri and I received $300 each as did most taxpayers.

Upon actually receiving the extra cash, Terri said "What are we going to do with it?" I was in the process of paying off a 30-year mortgage (took seven years) and I was putting every penny toward that. I replied to Terri "We're going to put it on the mortgage as we always do!". Then, I hesitated. It's my money and hers to do with as we pleased, but the reason for getting money was to help the economy. I told Terri "Instead we're going to help the economy. We're going to grow our money!"

Terri was operating her own antique shop, "The Blue Heron" in Bowling Green. I was still working at GM, but have bought and sold for profit since I was a child. We went to several auctions a week and at auctions lies opportunities. I know nothing of antiques, but I do know what people will pay for "things". Also, I'm blessed with moderation in spending and a make every dollar count. I never waste anything because, as a child,  any trinket had great value to me. My parents found toys unnecessary as do I. (He was frugal too!)

I decided to track our money separately. Both were to do what we could to grow that money. The starting point for both was the $300. Within a year Terri's had grown to $2000. I then told her to keep tack of her own. She didn't do that, but it did grow some. That is $1700 profit in one-year using her head instead of her back!  That's 567% APR... Not 5.67%, but 567!  I don't know any bank that will pay that!

I made my tracking system easy. I merely kept it in a second account and watch the account grow. Sometimes we need to reward ourselves and others, so I decided to buy my "boy toys" from my account. I bought cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. all from what originally was $300! God blessed me! However, periodically I shared some of the blessings. I loaned money to those in need without interest, gave help to kids and grand kids and made gifts to the church out of that account. If I had merely hoarded the money for me, I'm sure the blessings would quit flowing.

Thinking on how I had been blessed so much made me feel guilty. I remembered in high school while working at a garage, I stole from my employer. It wasn't much, but I figured it was around $100. Since that's like $500 now with inflation, I couldn't rest until I made that right! After all these years I found the 86 year old man, apologized to him for stealing, and paid him what was his. I'm recounting this, not for credit or out of pride, but because I was blessed more than he was, but he forgave me and I paid my debt. That's called restitution and Christians are called to do that. It's The Golden Rule!

When making restitution, it's part of seeking forgiveness. It shows sincerity in being sorrowful. I could merely have told the victim "I'm sorry for stealing from you... see ya!", but making restitution makes sorrow since! Not only does the victim appreciate it more, but when a person pays back what they can get by with not, it's a sacrifice! I prospered. The old man had not! How could I enjoy what was really his, when I had been blessed so? The answer is obvious. We're blessed when we do what's right!

In fifteen years I estimate that I turned $300 into around $40,000. That's 882% APR. That's a blessing!  It was not of me, but of God. He blessed me! That hopefully will continue to grow as I'm blessed, I pray, but it's not for me that I want it. I desire that my wife be taken care of in my demise and that my children and grandchildren be helped if a need is there. Rather than "giving" to the able, which would forfeit their own blessings, my family, I'm sure, will be able to be blessed on their own with faith in God.

I read my letters home from college yesterday. Mom had saved several. I had ten dollars and bragged to Dad that ten-dollars was all I needed, when he offered to help me out.  I talked of sending him $40 that I owed him, but I had $47. I felt guilty for not sending it all to him. Things were tight! However, with poverty I was happy. I had pride in "not borrowing anything", and I had forgotten that Dad had loaned me a small amount. Around $200 if I remember correctly.

I took that $200 and turned it into an education, and paid back the $200. I never, regardless of how small, failed to repay a loan! I won't divulge my value now. I'm not wealthy and have lost much in the market crash and by other means. However, I am blessed! The APR on that $200 Dad loaned me is astronomical! I am what I am today for two major reasons: 1) My parents helped me with $200 and nurturing my child, and 2) because God blessed me and continues to do so!

God blesses me, not because I deserve it, but because he's gracious! Like Paul, "I am the chiefest of sinners" and deserve not. However, I was never jealous of what others had! I have always been happy for the success of others. I have never held animosity toward the rich because I realize that without the wealthy, the avenue God used to bless me would have been closed! "Trickle down" economics works, because everyone benefits from the circulation of money.

I just gave the example on my original $300. I made money and helped a tremendous number of other people because God blessed me with their affluence! Without those who had wealth to spend, I could not have made a profit at all. Now, society expects "income equality" and "sharing of the wealth". Rather than allow the gendarmes to extract money from the king's subjects, we each should depend on God to bless us!  How can we allow God to bless us when we have an "I deserve" and "That aint fair" attitude?

Jimmy Carter did say one thing that I agree with "Who said life is fair?". It's not! Jesus could have waved his arm and this life would have been fair. He didn't choose to do that because "leveling the playing field" isn't as important as "putting trees on mountain tops". Jesus didn't come to make us prosper, but that we should become a living sacrifice! We can bear our own crosses on the mountain top and we shall be blessed. If the government bears our cross for us, blessings will cease!

With the blessings I have, I can never expect to deserve them. If God took each of my sins and charged me penance, let's say $1 a sin, I would still be in the red.  I can never repay God for my wrong to him. He expects us to make restitution to those we've wronged... to all... but him anyway. I paid back my debt to the old man, but I can never repay my debt to Jesus, yet he still blesses me!

There is the greatest blessing yet to come! Someday I will get the ultimate reward. Adam lost my life for me before I was ever born. I had no choice in the matter. However, at my death I shall become alive and live forever! And people fail to count their blessings....


No comments:

Post a Comment