Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday Without God

I missed church today and since I was sick, I must admit that I had a "Sunday Without God" for the most part. That's because most all of my thoughts were on me and about me. This Sunday was all about me and how bad I felt. On the seventh day, I took a day off from God. On the day dedicated to him, I took that day.
Genesis 2:2 "And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made."
On the seventh say, God rested from his work. That's why we honor the "Sabbath", that day meaning "a time of rest". As Christians, we take our day of rest on the Lord's Day, being Sunday. Today I rested from work and worship. The latter is not what was intended! What if God took Sunday's off? Let's see what he would do! First he would turn the volume down so that he couldn't here are whining about how tough sin is and how strong the devil seems to be. He would close his eyes to all that distracted him. Our own apathy and  lack of joy in church he would not see.  He would not look on those at the golf course or other secular houses of worship.  Then, he would hold his nose at the "filthy rags" which we call works. He would not feel for us because his emotions would lie dormant, and if we prayed, he would not answer because his tongue rests too! Truly, what if God did "rested on the seventh day"?

For me God took the day off because I did! He didn't hear me because I didn't pray nor sing. He didn't speak to me because I did not query. I did my will, not his! He did not see me because my knees weren't bent in respect. He didn't even smell the filth in my garbage bin of a heart because I made no effort to please him! Compounded by all those things, God had no mercy on me because I asked for none. I was complacent in my mere existence, and God does not force us to revere him. Since I didn't honor God, he merely loved me quietly because it was his day off!

I spent one Sunday without God. Many people spend Sunday after Sunday and day after day without allowing God to work in their lives. Although, I sit here thinking about God, for the most part I was self-absorbed. Most people are always self-absorbed. God gets many days off with them. It makes his  job easier since he doesn't have to mess with their disobedience, but that part of the job, he hates. God sheds tears for us.
John 11:35 "Jesus wept."
So short, but so meaningful! Why did Jesus cry?  It was because he loved Lazarus.  What's more he loves us all just as he did Lazarus! Jesus didn't take that day off... he was right there! Love never takes a holiday. Love for us is always there. When it seems that you are alone, Jesus weeps! When we do wrong, Jesus weeps. When we love him, Jesus weeps. When we don't love him, Jesus weeps. Jesus never takes the day off. Jesus never takes Sunday off for that much needed rest from rebellious children. There is never a "Sunday Without God"! Even when we're not, he's there!

No comments:

Post a Comment