Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Facebook Flaws

"Get a life!" I often said, but then find myself on Facebook (FB). It's not that FB is all bad, but it can replace human interaction with conversations tempered by isolation. What I mean is that FB is not a real world. What people say is shielded in disguise or by pretense. Let's look at how FB is misused:

  • People can say to "the wall" things which are boring to people! I like genealogy. Few people do. Therefore, I can put a big story in front of their face about my endless ancestry prefaced by some clever curtain to shield it's contents. Before the reader notices, and surprise; he is learning about my dead ancestors! It takes a clever person to have an opening which will draw readers to the mundane.
  • Advertisers are the most clever. They can market a cheap pair of designer sunglasses which are mere copies by a headline "80% Off on ____ Sunglasses for One Day Only" and thousands and thousands of people will order fake sunglasses. I fell for that one myself! The Chinese are quire clever!
  • The media markets people in that same manner. There will be a headline "See Fantastic Women in Swimsuits". Men fall for that one all the time, but the discerning person knows that 1) the wife may not think that's a good idea, 2) God agrees with her and 3) you'll have to read at least two advertisements before one ugly non-sexy bikini is even seen. The media uses prurient desire to peddle everything!
  • "Drama Queens" rule the wall! People rant and rave about everything because at home they have no one who cares about what they're saying. Readers on their "wall" probably don't care either, but out of courtesy "like" accusations, anger, gossip and unfair criticism. Drama Queens use FB to slam people vicariously. Many times the target of the slam are mildly disguised. Anyone can figure out that "the alleged man of the house" is Roscoe, her husband!
  • Profanity and sexual innuendo is gathered from sites all over the web and added to people's walls so they can enjoy slime as well. Oftentimes, the reader is entertained when suddenly the "F-bomb" explodes. The wall is used by people's who mind's are one-tracked. It also seems that FB is a wall where OMG is the most expressive vocabulary people have!
  • Narcissistic people add what they presume to be flattering photos of themselves. Sometimes it's in skin tight jeans even though mushrooms are growing, and sometimes its their skimpy Florida swimsuit which has less cotton in them than a gloomy beach in Antarctica.
  • Others use the wall to brag! It may not be obvious, but posting those beach pictures in the tropics is saying "You losers! Look where we are!" At other times people show photos of their ugly babies or the beer bellies of their disgusting husbands. Is there no shame? Yes, there are pretty babies and men with six packs on the wall, but that just makes us less fortunate even more covetous! "It's not my fault I covet, it's because others have more than I do!", I say sarcastically.
  • People who hate Obama love to slam him on the wall. I really enjoy plastering a man in the virtual wall that I can't on a real wall. FB is great for letting off steam! Even pollsters watch my rantings to advise politicians. It seems that with FB the curtain is up and people share their true feelings unencumbered by tricky biased questions. An example of this technique is when I add to the wall  somethings as this "Hillary says to take corruption out of politics. I guess she intends to drop out of the race!" Hillary won't drop out, but I feel better about it because everyone now knows how I feel about Hillary. FB is great for fantasy impeaching those with whom you disagree. It's sort of like "road rage", only it's "Wall Rage"!
  • FB wall is great for proselytizing.  For those of you who went to inner city public schools, this means "converting others to your viewpoint". Americans won't convert. Their minds are made up! A person who believes the world is flat won't believe otherwise even if they're given a ride in space. "The earth must be flat because my parents believe it!" , or worse yet, "My parents believed the earth is round, so I believe it's flat!" People are so embedded in their non-reality that real things would shock them! Alan Colmes, for instance on FOXNEWS would support progressivism even if Obama himself was robbing him with a gun! Alan would say "It's my fault for being a white American" or some such nonsense. My main interest in FB is to proselytize!
  • I want others to believe as I do! I write on the wall to get people to change their viewpoint or to spread a message. I'm honest about that, but I'm sure most people who disagree with me skip over what I say and read something which agrees with their own viewpoint. The fear of being wrong scares people. They live complacently and happy in "the lie"! Why should they change their views just because it's truth?
  • FB is for people who don't have a life! Fake friends are added by the dozens! In real life if you have two good friends that's great. On FB you have 400 friends, but you still sit home alone reading FB! How ironic! Some people when they are with real friends, still consort with their electronic friends on FB! Fictional friends are caring by "liking" on FB.  "Look people with only fifteen friends! I have 500, but yet I'm alone sitting here reading the wall!" FB breeds loneliness! Rather than reading about acquaintances who call themselves friends, be friends with real flesh and blood people!
  • FB is for cowards! It's not called "writing on the wall" for nothing. People can say on the wall what they're afraid to say in person! It's online graffiti and some of it is true art! They also can hide behind the wall, so to speak. Oh, yes, their name may be on it, but the object of the gossip isn't! The name of those assailed are usually easily deciphered and when it's not easy, multiple are slandered, not knowing the one who is the true target. 
  • I use the wall, in all honesty, to reach those who find it hard to listen in person without presuming or responding before the argument is heard. It doesn't work well because people are defensive! The advise offered on the wall gives people much time to get angry and respond with such!
  • Time spent reading trivial things and talking to false friends can be better used doing good things. 
  • Last, but not least are the games and villages! I often get invited to "farms" and "games" by others who waste time. I won't even farm in real life and people are so occupied with games that substantial things like "society being destroyed", which is really happening, are hidden in binomial mazes where electronic people kill each other. If enough is killed then gamers can go to the next stage of killing. (And we wonder why people are shot!). Games are the soma of unthinking people who shield themselves from truth!
Now, before the reader gets angry with me, I'm on FB too. Sometimes when I'm bored I escape to fantasyland where I can mingle in the lives of others, be part of their  dysfunctional families, imagine that these people are my friends and I can rant and rave over every thought which crosses my mind. It's a habit tough to break and yesterday I was successful! One day down. Will I be strong enough for another?

Now what did I do in my extra time? I read my Bible and reflected on my  own relationship with God and the important things in life.  I was alone most of the day. I had no real friends with which to commune and no fictional friends to critique and encourage on FB.  I looked at who my true friends are and wonder "Where are they?" because true friends are there!

No comments:

Post a Comment