Thursday, April 23, 2015

Your Name Here: Lovest Thou me?

"Do you love me, Larry?" Try it with your name! "Do you love me, [your name here]?" I'm referring to Jesus. He asks the questions. We not only are to answer, but to "do"! Do what? "Feed my lambs and sheep"!

Getting saved is easy. No "work" is required! Salvation is a gift which we don't deserve. The gift has a name: It's "Mercy". Mercy has a twin. He's "Grace"! We normally think of Mercy and Grace as female names, but they are actually adjectives which describe God!

After we're born again is when the work begins. Work is required not to earn salvation nor even keep it! However, loving Jesus IS hard work because our human nature which makes it hard! We're much like Lot's wife. We keep looking back. She turned into a pillar of salt! That salt is all washed away now and has lost its saltiness. If we look back on what we're missing, we won't be turned to salt, but as salt already, we'll be without savor!
Matthew 5:13 "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted?"
How are we "salt"? We are the people, as called by God, to season the whole earth. We're to give the world a taste of what Jesus has to offer; salvation to be exact. If our salt loses it's saltiness, who's left to season the world?

We can tell the entire world about Jesus, but if we don't love him, what's the use? Why would anyone want to love a Savior that even Christians fail to love? The answer is obvious. We must teach or "salt" by example. Our Christian walk should be "salty" enough to season quite a few other people!

Those who have read much of my commentary may remember that I contend that "Love is more than an emotion. It's a work!" and the reason I say that is because God himself made "keeping his commandments" a demonstration of our love for him! (John 14:15).

Now look at  the conversation which Jesus had with Simon (Peter) before he died:
John 21:15 "So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep."
Three times Jesus asked Simon, "Do you love me?" Three times Simon said "yes!". Once Jesus responded "Feed my lambs." and twice "Feed my sheep"!

What Jesus was saying to Simon is "Show your saltiness! You say that you love me, show it!" How was it that Simon should show his love? "Feed my sheep!"

Jesus is the Good Shepherd. People are his "sheep"! Yes, some are lambs and some are full-grown. How is it that Simon should feed "the sheep"? He is to tell them about Jesus! However, it's more than telling. He is to love the sheep all the way to the manger! The best way to lead a sheep to safety, nourishment and shelter is to lead them in a loving way.. By this "work" of loving and leading, Simon was to do what Jesus asked "Feed my sheep"!

Now let's get back to you (and me). "George, do you love Jesus?" "Mary, do you love Jesus?" "Susie, do you love Jesus?' If you do then "feed His sheep". Take that block of salt which is you and season not "Watter's World", but "George's World", "Mary's World" and "Susie's World"!   Sheep lick salt. Give a little of your salt to others. Don't pass along salt which has lost it's savor, but get the good stuff out and "feed His sheep"!

How many sheep have you fed? Some have fed few and few have fed none. How many people have you led to Christ? How many people have you told about Jesus?

It takes me from one to two hours to write my "Daily Thought" including the study for it. Sometimes it's work which I don't want to do. However, this is my "salt" and is the seasoning with which I feed Jesus' sheep. I write because I want others, no, "everybody" to have the hope of salvation. I may not like their behaviors, but I cherish their soul!

I can't say how many sheep that I have fed. On a one to one level I've fed few sheep; at least not sheep who ate what I was feeding!  Some sheep are stubborn. I can take the salt block to them, but they just won't lick it. However, Jesus expects me to do that "work" to demonstrate my love for him!

If Christians are honest, we must admit that we answered the call to salvation to save our own wretched skin from eternal damnation.Now that we have that "hope" it's time to love the One who offered it! We're to love one another and God! We are to "feed" (care for) his sheep so that the wolf won't get them. The kind of salt we're to be is poison to the wolf. He won't lick it, but many of the sheep will!

There's more to loving God than telling them about Jesus. We are to be walking examples (having savor) of who Jesus is! We're to be Christlike. Saved sheep should be as innocent as lambs. How could we represent Jesus when we act like wolves?
Matthew 7:15 "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
 "Christians" who fail to act like gentle sheep are inwardly ravenous wolves. This is not only for teachers, but anyone who's supposed to be "the salt". We can't be evil inside and expect others to be impressed by the "goodness" we fail to show. Let me use an example:

Wayne, a person I had just met, had invited me to church. Wayne always held onto a person's shoulder for some reason I guess to hold their attention. While he was inviting me to church he grabbed another man by the shoulder and told him a filthy joke. There he was, spreading salt which had lost its savor. To be good shepherds and show the Master who owns the sheep love and respect, we must be obedient servants. I started to say "act like we're good", but too many of us have the "acting" part down just do good!

"Larry, George, Mary, and Susie... 'Feed my sheep!'"  Add your name to the list now. "Your name, 'If you love me, Feed my sheep.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment