Friday, August 21, 2015

Your Sins are Greater than Mine!

People don't say this out loud, but in their head it rings loud "Your sins are greater than mine!" That's how Christians, and non-Christians as well, rationalize their own misdeeds. For instance when most people err, they say a short prayer, give a half-hearted excuse, then expect all to be well with their soul!

On the other hand when another wrongs them, they remit punishment forever. It may be in the guise of "in the best interests for all", but when one forgives another, it should be just as it (whatever it was) never happened. In other words Christians, after they forgive, should have a short memory. It's called grace and when God forgives, he is genuine in his forgiveness:
Hebrews 8:12 "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more."
This is God's grace. God has the power to cleanse his divine mind of the rebellion from those who are contrite and ask for his pardon. Guess what? We don't have a divine mind, but that's no excuse. Since we are to be like God as best as we humanly can, we too, if we're merciful, are to "remember no more". However, people say they forgive yet hang that wrong over the heads of others until death parts them. If they erase that blackboard, remnants of sins past still show the sloppy washing!

Let's take a look at an example.
John 8:7b "...He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."
It's not our place to condemn other sinners! Jesus said "he that is without sin"! That's profound. If people were as they act in church many would step forward with their stone, all seeking to cast first. Jesus was making a point and a good one at that!
 Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God..."
None of these folks, without regard to how good a Christian they are, could step forward! However, today Christians everywhere step forward, throw that first stone and continue to toss stones as long as their blinded eyes can see to throw.  Christians, just like non-Christians, often don't put their mercy in practice! By not being merciful, they're shortchanging the love they claim that they have!
Luke 6:36 "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."
I have many faults! I admit that.  I do wrong and if temptation was sin, which it's not, I'd not have enough time in the day to repent! However, one thing which I do have is love! I value other people and friends. Once I have a friend, they are always a friend and by definition that's what a friend is! I don't always agree with friends and some are hard to be around, but that doesn't diminish my love!

I hate worse than anything those who undermine God. Much of the time those are liberal people. However, I still love them! It's hard for me, I admit, but it's not their flesh which I despise, it's their antipathy toward Jesus. It's not my place to condemn them, though. That's God's judgement they face!
Luke 6:37 "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven..."
Looking at the flip side of this, people want forgiveness, but hesitate to forgive others themselves. Instead of forgive, they condemn. That attitude is the Bizarro Golden Rule: "Do unto others whatever they deserve, not as I would want them to do unto me!"

I attended a church some time ago where there with a person who just did not like me. I'm sure there was a reason and I tried to make amends, but this guy was hateful toward me even at church! Because I couldn't make things right with him, it killed my spirit. Before I sacrificed myself at the altar, I was to have a clear conscious:
Matthew 5:23 "Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift."
At one time I would think "I don't have any issues with anyone!" However, these verses go beyond that! My brother may "have ought against thee". In other words, I don't hold ill-feelings against this person, but he does me!

With  my nemesis at the other church, I just couldn't get him to forgive me for whatever it is that I did or didn't do! After a year or so of being despised, I just couldn't get joy in praising the Lord at this church. Consequently, I changed churches. The problem didn't go away, but at least I wasn't confronted with disdain every Sunday!

My wish for me is that I deserved to be liked by everyone, but knowing I don't deserve it, I wish that all people would like me in spite of me. That's what Jesus would like as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment