Sunday, September 13, 2015

Character

According to Dilbert's boss "character" is "How you act when no one is watching." (Dilbert Comic Strip, Scot Adams, September 13, 2015). (Incidentally you need to read the whole comic! It's hilarious it's so true.)

There is a test for a degree of character: An example is: when you have found a sum of money and it is a measure of the effort you make to return it to its rightful owner, knowing that only you will know of how hard you tried. I suppose, though, that Wally, the old engineer with Dilbert, says "Do you want to know what I do when no one is looking?" disgusts the boss. It's apparent that the boss has mental images of perverse things! Wally seems proud of his secret character which he is happy to share.

I often use the expression "If you could read my mind you'd scream!". I say that at times because I, as do most people, have thoughts of which I'm not so proud. I don't put them there; they just "pop". Many of the things that pop come from my surroundings. The adage "You are what you see." is certainly true. Things around you which your mind takes in as a profound effect on who you are!

When I lived up north and was around few Christians, I heard trash-talk nearly all the time from just about everybody. When I was in church I noticed that when I started to pray, trashy thoughts entered my mind. Some of them would make you scream. Before I could pray for other things, my first prayer would be "Lord, remove this trash from my mind!" Those who revel in trash have questionable character. However, most of us have less than perfect character whether it's intentional or not!

Christians are attacked by those who are not because we do things which are contrary to the beliefs we claim. We're called hypocrites. Paul had an explanation which fits better than name-calling:

Romans 7:14 "For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."
Paul struggled with sin! He was one of the strongest Christians ever, but yet Paul still sinned, not because he wanted to, but because he was a mere man! All these verses from Romans say one thing, and as I paraphrase, here it is:  "I still sin even though I don't want to, but it's not that I think it's right, but that I'm weak to the appeal of sin."

What Paul is speaking of is mankind's inborn nature to sin as we inherited it from Adam, from whom sin first entered into the world.  Paul is not a hypocrite. Paul is a typical honest human being. He admits what most of us hide: "He's not perfect!" and neither are we. Our "character" is our striving to do what's right when we alone know of its success. Paul failed often. To him, he wasn't pleased with his secret life, but that's because he had 'character".

When I'm alone I most often have what I would call "good character". There's certain things which I would never do: stealing, infidelity, drug use, murder, harming the innocent, and several other things. I have great character on those because I am a man of principle and conviction. On other things I have less character: Although I hate alcoholic drinking, I would taste it; although I hate lying; sometimes I have caught myself doing it for self-protection; I hate lust, but sometimes I fall  prey to the bait that's waved. I have less character on some things than others. The sum total of all these (and more) things are my character. Most of the time my public life matches my private. Hence, on the whole I have good character, but one sorely in need of improvement!

Scripture tells us that God knows the number of grains of sand and the very hairs on our head.  This ability is "all-knowing". Theologians call it God's omniscience; his ability to know everything! With that said:
Luke 8:17 "For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad."
When those who are not children of God sin, they care little, for the most part, about what other people think. Christians do care about what God thinks, but many are fooled by Satan, thinking  that secrets can be kept from God. That's not what God says! God knows my character. He knows yours. He says that those who love him will obey his commands. By failure to obey, even in secret, God knows that you're not showing him love. Lack of character is a problem: it's an absence of true love for God!

To the world overt sinners who prolifically sin have better character than Christians who sin little, but hide it. Paul sinned as we all do, but he never covered it up! This is the third choice! Yes, we'll all be tempted, we'll all sin,  but rather than "cover it up" we are to repent!
 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
Christians are not immune from sin. In fact the moment that one accepts Jesus as their savior, Satan puts on his warrior weapons. The attack is just beginning because you were his and now you're not!  He puts temptation in high gear and he knows your weaknesses. That weakness to sin is the chink in your armor. Just as Goliath was exposed only a very little, you too, as a Christian, are still exposed if you're not wearing the whole armor of God! Where you're exposed is where Satan will strike! What you do with that strike is your Christian character. How strong am I in loving the Lord? Do I love him enough to trade this pleasure, or whatever, for his displeasure? The ability to elect right over pleasure, even in secret, is love of God and Christian character.

God knows we're not perfect, but s long as we're his he will not condemn us. On the other hand mere humans as pawns of Satan will judge your every move. They have no idea of your overall character and whether you have repented, but Satan still uses acquaintances, friends and even relatives to tell you "You have no character! You're still a sinner and are a hypocrite!" Satan can defeat you because we all sin. Satan uses even pardoned sin to undermine our faith in Jesus!

What should Christians do? Keep the faith. Realize that you will be tempted and you can still choose sin. However, remember that even Paul sinned and God has the grace to forgive us our sins although others may not be able to do that. Don't let others defeat you! God knows your character and if you have the character of a new creature, just repent and go on!
Philippians 3:13 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before..."
Don't let Satan defeat you with what's passed!


No comments:

Post a Comment