Saturday, October 17, 2015

Gossiping

Gossip is an enormous problem even in Christian circles! "Gossip" is bits of conversations between people which are not known to be truth. When commenting about another, the comment is meant to belittle or condemn. Such comments often exaggerate a partial truth to make things appear to be worse than they are! As such "gossip" is not very charitable nor kind, and are meant to hurt. Of course Christians often say "Bless his heart!" and then the put-downs commence.

Christians most often don't "smoke, drink or chew, or hang out with those who do", but they sure know how to destroy the character of people! Gossip is intended to cause strife (bitterness) and is Satan's tactic to undermine those who should be brothers and sisters in Christ! Scripture says this about gossip:
Proverbs 16:28 (ESV) "A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer separates close friends."
The "whisperer" is the person who gossips. The intent is to cause strife and the method is by dishonesty.  Let me give an example:

John makes flattering comments about Lucy's car. Unknown to Lucy is that John is in the market for a new car and John flatters because Lucy's car would suit his needs and satisfy him. John buys a car like Lucy's only better.  Lucy tells friends "John is so covetous... he bought a car like mine to spite me and he even had to better me!" You see that has partial truth, but Lucy, who is unaware of what goes through John's mind, exaggerates to make John look bad to others. Lucy is dishonest by doing that, she keeps it low key so John won't know what she said, and it's meant to undermine John's integrity. Gossip hurt! What hurts worse is that John and Lucy are friends (sic).

People are cruel! To make themselves appear to be better, included, accepted, or to get even; people gossip! Satan likes that and smiles because the gossiper is doing the devil's dirty work, and they even do it with pleasure. The tongue can sting and sting it will!
Romans 3:12 (ESV) 12 "All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one. 13 “Their throat is an open grave;  they use their tongues to deceive. The venom of asps is under their lips.14 Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
The tongue is a powerful weapon. When it's used to build-up and encourage it's the tool of angels. When used to destroy and put-down it's a tool of demons! Gossip is of the demons. Those who gossip are being used by demons to hurt others! Gossip is unfair and destructive, especially since the one who is the subject of gossip is unaware; he or she can't even defend themselves against vicious attacks!

When I'm a subject of gossip I'm hurt. When I do wrong to others they are obligated and I expect them to be honest with me. They should share their concerns to the person who they perceive as wrong. Let me use and example:

I had  a person who held animosity toward me for we were in conflict over legal issues. Because of the conflict, the other person told those around me "Larry uses drugs." That was meant to make me the villain! For those who knew me "Larry hates drug usage and always has!" I don't even use drugs prescribed to me if they influence my thought processes. When others heard that lie they often added things as "Yes, I saw him in a new sports car! Boy how he's changed!" Yes, I had purchased an old Mustang, which was truth, but the truth was used to append the accusation. My friend (sic) who added to the false accusation was spreading gossip. It was to further the strife between me and the person with whom I had the conflict! A genuine friend told me about the gossip because that true friend knew me well enough that "Larry would never do drugs!" Now, that's a friend!

Gossip has two communicators: the teller and the listener. Listening to gossip is as bad as telling it, if they don't take a stand!
Titus 3:10 (ESV) "As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him..."
The Godly person warns another not to gossip. If the warning is not effective, then the Godly person will "have nothing more to do with him"!  The hearer of gossip is to warn, then flee if the plea fails! Good Christians not only do not gossip, but they don't listen to it, nor repeat it! It's unfair!
 Matthew 7:12a (ESV) “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them..."
No, we don't gossip about others regardless of how bad they are! We wouldn't want them to do that against us. What are we to do? Do things which encourages the other person; those things which show love. That's what we would want from them!

Never feel as if you need to "get your two-bits in"! Never embellish criticism another person is piling on someone else. Gossip stinks and those who gossip are stinkers! Actually, we should never say anything negative behind a person's back. Try that, you'll like it! You'll be blessed.

And if you have anything good to say about a person, say it to their face. They will be blessed and there will be no misunderstanding!

Folks, the Bible is not complimentary about gossipers! Don't do it! What takes years to build-up a tid-bit of gossip can tear down!
1 Timothy 5:13 (ESV) "Besides that, they learn to be idlers, going about from house to house, and not only idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not."

If you're like me, when I wrong others, or perceive to wrong others, tell me about it! That's the Christian thing to do. Do that for me and I will for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment