Saturday, November 14, 2015

Church Growth: Or Death?

In the early church, after receiving the Holy Ghost new Christians were changed! That's what a Christian is supposed to do! If we claim to be a Christian, but have a bitter heart, then we fool ourselves. When people are at odds when one walks into a church, the tension in the air can be felt! What state of mind must a Christian have who can't even get along in the social media, let alone in person? What type of person is the Christian who never says "I'm sorry!" or one who fails to truly forgive?

Christians are at times just plain calloused. One told my friend, her first time at church, "You're in my seat!" For me, I visited another church and ate with them. When I walked into the hall with about 100 seats, I sat by the only three people who were there before me. Another man came in and said "You're in my seat!". I apologized and moved over one chair. He said "You're in my wife's seat!" I emitted a look of befuddlement. The nice people across from me said "Come sit with us!"

You see, the church has BIG problems. We can't get along. Each person looks out for oneself. By now, you know that I interpret "other gods" as "the self". Christians say that they go to church to worship God, then sit there an appease their own idol!

Oh, what are we to do? How should Christians behave? After being filled, Christians in Jerusalem did this:
Acts 2:46  "And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved."
Do you want your church to grow? If so, cast out yourself! I'm not talking about you, but your attitude! As you can see, Christians are to "serve", not only God, but others! When we truly love others, truly cherish their company and get rid of our critical spirits, the church WILL grow! It will be added to daily. People will sense the love of the people and have a desire to be a part of that love!

Almost anyone will say that doctrine has little bearing on why they attend a church. Many aren't even aware of the peculiar doctrine of the church they attend.  Many go to a church or denomination because their parents or relatives did, or because their extant friends do. However, most people choose a church because they have a sense of belonging there. They feel the love of the Christians assembled there. Why are we even required to assemble in church? After all, we can worship God at home. We are to assemble together for unity and out of love and friendship (Reread Acts 2:46-47 above)!

Churches are dying because Christians fail to love! Sure, they love those in their cliques, but others are invisible to them. There are classes in the church. Those classes divide. What I mean by "classes" are "differences" among the Christians. Here are some class distinctions:

  1. Socio-economic
  2. Education level
  3. Age
  4. Gender
  5. Race
  6. Marital status
  7. Personality
  8. Position in church (offices)
  9. What's important to each
  10. Activities
  11. Children's ages
  12. Proximity of homes to each other.
  13. Pride vs, Humility
  14. Life when  not at church
  15. Any many more!
The devil uses differences to destroy! Some walk into the church wearing their finest. They prance around so all can admire their fortune. They decorate their idol so that others admire it. It's not God they magnify, but their own self!

Others live in a fine home and spend lavishly to have fine things. Their residence becomes their temple. That's also because their own idol lives there. Unfortunately, when one dies, these things remain behind! Let go of that temple now. Wealth will mean little in the kingdom of God!

Education means much to many. Some have a superior attitude because of that degree posted on the wall.  Some get puffed up and prideful in their knowledge. God us omniscient. God, with his profound knowledge, is not impressed! I have a Master's Degree. I have been blessed by God with opportunities. It wasn't easy, but hard work. However, because I am degreed doesn't make me smart. Even if one is smart, knowledge doesn't make one wise. The wise man depends on God and submits, holding God, not the self, in high esteem!

Others don't have the same education. Many Americans are blessed with a diploma. However, to hold the education level against another is prideful. We should always be pleased that our neighbors have had the opportunity to improve their lives. Just as pride in education is wrong, being resentful of others who have it, is also wrong. I've always been happy when my friends succeed. I am glad that they get an education, a new home, a new car, and have plenty of food. Because I do not covet what others have, God has blessed me. He loaned me much in this life and soon I will leave it all behind!

Interests are a great divider. One church I attended was a sports oriented church. Most activities were centered around playing, watching or talking sports. Even the sermon analogies were sports oriented. People who cherished sports were united. Those who cared little for sports were isolated and alienated! I like sports, but they have their place. My friendships are not based on such shallow things.

We all have our own personalities. Some dominate the crowd. Others are wall-flowers. If Christians hang out merely with those of the same personalities, they are out of balance. Can you image how dull a marriage would be if husband and wife were identical/ The same goes for friends. Shallow people seek friends just like they are! It's easy to appease the others idol when it's just like yours!

Prideful people are in the church. Yes, many Christians have excessive pride. Just listen to how many precede sentences by "I".  They empower their little god by magnifying it! Since I don't use off-color language just let me say, "These are the ones whose feces is not foul!" They are many!

Many have daily lives much different than their Sunday lives. During the week I hear many Christians cursing, gossiping, drinking spirits, and just being mean. Others vote for candidates who are at odds even with their own proclaimed belief!  These are called "Sunday Christians" and they are many. They tithe one day of week to God  by being obedient one day. God is not impressed!

Christians gossip. That's the most insidious type of hate because often it's a lie they propagate. Gossip is a sub-conscious way that your idol undermines another perceived stronger idol. Gossip is the work of hating. It's using an unfair metric and abusing friendships. Pride drives gossip and pride destroys. If we think our neighbor has something against us, before we even pray, we are go to that person and make it right. People who love must say "I'm sorry!" sometimes even when the fault does not lie with them!

On the other hand, we may have something against another person. Before we praise God, we are obligated to make amends. Love is being contrite enough to realize that your own sins are just as great as another's. Self-righteous people may say they "forgive", but their actions speak louder! Forgiveness is accompanied by a renewal of love. Without love all the apologies and forgiveness in the world is without meaning. Without love one cannot forgive!

You can examine the others from the list and do your own introspection. I think you'll find, as I did, that you come up short! You (and I) need to change. We need to unify and love each other. We need to forgive, include and be glad for others, even imperfect people!

Look around. Your church is probably dying. Why? It's because of you! It's because of me! We all go to churches where love is not important. Even yours! Churches split because of things from this list. I have quit going to churches where just one person failed to love me. It bothered me that just one Christian despised me. That interfered with my ability to worship and praise God. I tried hard to make amends, but some hearts are so hard, they can't really forgive. They can't really love because there is no love in their hearts. I believe what many Christians need is a baptizing in deep waters. We need to be washed clean and filled with the Holy Ghost, but our own idols just won't let him in!

No comments:

Post a Comment