Saturday, January 16, 2016

My Mistake - Bad Franklinatarian!

I really messed up today. Even Christians still hang on to the remembrances of the importance of "self". The old person is dead, but at times the new person reverts back! That's what Lot's wife did and sometimes us Christians do that as well!
Genesis 19:25 "And he (God) overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground. 26 But his (Lot's) wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt."
Today I looked back. I didn't become a pillar of salt as did Lot's wife, but what I saw in myself is bitter salt. My old person came back to today and my new person didn't like that! I felt guilt! That's how the Holy Spirit shames the old personality into submitting to the new personality.
Romans 16:8a "And when he (the Holy Spirit) is come, he will reprove (convict) the world of sin... 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me..."
Of course I believe in Jesus, but to really know him,we are to love him and others! Sin in a Christian's life is a measure of how much we fail to demonstrate love for Jesus. The more we obey Jesus, the more we demonstrate love for him! The paramount act which we can do to love Jesus is to love others!  One "job" of the Holy Spirit is to convict people of their sins. The aspect of our personality used by God is our conscience. The Holy Spirit instills guilt in those Christians who know better and do things anyway! The Spirit rearranges priorities: he represses the flesh while at the same time, restores the spirit!
Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
I was tempted this morning. I sinned! I didn't want to sin, but I did it anyway! I did not what was charitable, but "did what I wanted to do"! I put my god of self over God and slighted a person. Now I feel guilty about it! My sin is a great one! Yes, there are degrees of sin. Today I was uncharitable. I didn't show love to a person in need. I wasn't a "good Samaritan" ( Luke 10:25-37). I was the "bad Franklinatarian! A person in Franklin, Kentucky was slighted because I, like the priest and Levite (do-gooders), this Christian neglected a hungry and unhealthy man.

Scenaro: I was pumping gas at the local BP into my pretty little sports car. I was racing the clock to get where I was going on time. I had just went to the bank and had two twenty-dollar bills in my wallet. A man, a black man if that matters, was in his car. When I turned around, he said "I'm hungry. I just had heart surgery and I have no money for food." I replied "I can't help you!" He responded "God bless you anyhow." and I was off for my day of fun.

As I drove down the highway, the Holy Spirit taunted me! He said "Satan deceived you. He told you that this man was a pan-handler, that he had a good car and don't give him any money. Satan told you to hold onto your 20's because 20 dollars was too much to give. Satan spoke and you listened!" I felt guilty. As a Christian if guilt is lacking, so is my faith. Jesus said to be charitable. I rationalized. I told myself that I pay taxes for entitlements and if he really needed money he could go downtown and they would take care of him.

I wasn't being charitable and as such, unlike the good Samaritan who gave generously, I kept what I had selfishly. It was my own god to whom I clung. It was "the love of money" which was more important than "loving my fellow man". I was the "bad Franklinitarian"!

I've always been taught that people will abuse the system and use people because of their own laziness. That's often true. I have been guilty of giving money to drunks before. Satan said "Learn your lesson. Quit doing that!" I listened this time. I failed the test of love by not being charitable.

When in doubt do the loving thing! That's what I should have done and let God sort the details. Even helping people who are undeserving is still an act of love. If I was being defrauded for some change, God would equalize that out in his time. If it was a great amount, I could have taken him to buy his meal. However, my money and my time was too valuable. It was all about "ME"! That's exactly where selfish Christians go wrong: Christianity is NOT all about me! It's not about your "Me" either. It's all about Jesus and others.

What if:

  • What if this man was an angel testing me for God? (Hebrews 13:2 "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.")
  • What if this man had no one else to turn to?
  • What if he really had heart-surgery and was weak?
  • What if he hadn't eaten in days?
  • What if he was far from home?
  • What if he had no money for gas?
  • What if he was normally a hard worker?
  • What if he was a fellow Christian?
  • What if he was to die or be injured because of me?
All these questions I asked myself in my head. The questions were supplied by the Holy Ghost and I answered them all with shame. If any one was true, I neglected my obligation to love a fellow human being. I felt guilty for being selfish with my money and time! Not only did I "feel" guilty, but I WAS guilty. That bothered me all day! Lesson learned. I can't find him now, but I asked for forgiveness and pledged to make it a point to always if I'm to err, to err on behalf of charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment