Sunday, March 6, 2016

Blankity-blank Fanatics

I'm accused of being a "blankity-blank fanatic". Rather than denying it, I embrace the ridicule! It's the least that I can do for Jesus who died in my place.  That doesn't make me "good" for "only God is 'good'". It makes me a servant to One who is good.

Some are basketball fans, others hunting fans and others fans of those in the entertainment industry. I do not denigrate them, but do point out their poor sense of priorities! As such, these folks are "fanatics" because that's what "fans" are. They jump up and down, clap, shout with excitement and shed tears of joy and tears of pain for the object of their enthusiasm.  I don't do that! My joy is more subdued. I'm an even-keeled "fan", but yet those who limit their vocabulary to "fan" outdo themselves by calling me a "fanatic"!

I wish I was more emotional with the Group of which I'm a "groupie" because it's the groupies who are the most loyal fans. Unfortunately, few who are in my "group" are genuine "groupies", but merely are there for the crowd and to pay their admission fee so that they will be accepted as part of the group. The group to which I am referring is "The Church", not in a building and ritualistic sense, but those who are the temple themselves within whom Christ lives!

The "groupies" are the true scripture believing and living, fanatics for Christ who is the lead singer for this Group!  Why is it shameful to be a fan of Christ, but not of Miley Cyrus? It makes more sense to be a fanatic for Christ than a fanatic of a self-indulgent fanatic herself! Being a fan for Christ offers the hope of salvation. Being a fan of Miley (or others) offers guilt and damnation. For me and my household, let's be fans for Christ! Christianity is the group for me.
Hebrews 3:1 (ESV) "Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession,"
"Be ye holy because I am holy" said Jesus! And what were the "holy rollers" to do? Profess Jesus as our "lead singer".  We are to be part of his group and follow the lead of the Leader. We are to be groupies for Jesus; true fanatics!

And what do fanatics do? Well, they believe in and adore the object of their affection, and they brag on their leader!
Mark 16:15 (ESV) "And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation."
Paraphrased, Jesus said "Be ye zealots for me!"  Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines "zealot" as " a person who has very strong feelings about something (such as religion or politics) and who wants other people to have those feelings".  In Mark 16:15 that's what Jesus says that we are to be!  When we feel so strongly that Jesus is our passion, we are to tell the world about him! We are to be zealots for Christ and so being, we are Christian fanatics, or "fans of Christ".

If you are not a "blankity-blank" fanatic as the "world" calls us, why aren't you? Are we to obey Jesus and offend the world, or are we to follow the world and offend Jesus? It's a choice we all must make! I take pleasure in being called a "blaankity blank right-wing Christian fanatic" because the world does hate me (blankity-blank), Jesus is the righteoues Way (right-wing), I am a Christian, and I am a "fan of Christ"! I embrace the denigration of the world because I am indeed a zealot for my leader; the one in whom I believeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment