Friday, March 4, 2016

Blessings: Count Them One By One

This morning I didn't ponder on the topic of my commentary at all!  Acts 21 was to be next, but just as my posterior became recumbent, I was inspired. My topic was to be on despair because we all feel that way. I think of the tiny young lady with Crohn's disease and of her bravery in the Lord. I thought of 25-years old Jose's family because their loved one just lost his life. I thought of my daughter's disappointment and feel for her. In it all, maybe I don't have things so bad after!

What immediately came to mind was this song:
When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God has done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God has done.
(Count Your Blessings; Johnson Oatman, Jr.)
We all feel down at times. It seems that everything goes against us. We become discouraged and want to give up the fight. It seems all is lost.  If we're Christians that may be how we FEEL, but that's not what we ARE!  Paul felt down at times, and rightfully so. He was persecuted just because he presented the true message of love. Hate troubled him, he had dire things happen to him, and at times it seemed that his calling was a lost cause, but Paul peeked through those dark clouds and the Light shined.
2 Corinthians 4:8 " 8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed..."
 If it had been written at that time, Paul's song would have been Count Your Blessings! The Holy Ghost, the Spirit of Jesus was with him. How could he go wrong when Jesus' grace brings hope. When all goes wrong here, there is the promise of eternal life and in paradise all will be well! It's just a short time until our hope is transformed into reality and the things of the past are of no consequence!

In all this Paul and his fellow Christians were not in despair nor were they destroyed. Hope is the antidote for despair. When things look bleak the glory of Jesus can be seen comforting as we go along. He's still with us! Jesus does live! The "Ghost" of Jesus comforts if we embrace his comfort!
 Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
I, as have you, have been heavy laden. It seems that everything works against us (and me) and it's a daily labor to keep afloat.  I think back on the last few years and think of the attacks I've endured. It's not at the hand of others, but the tax the Devil places on me because I'm human.  Because the Devil wants me to die, he creates a milieu for failure.

Think on Job and what Satan did to him and his family. It seemed that all was lost, but Job lived on hope because he had faith! Job's hope was his salvation, just as it is ours. If one fails to understand the battle unseen, read the battle that Job endured. However, he was never alone on his own! The Comforter was there for him just as he is for us! This "Comfort" comes from God and is spiritual rest. We can defeat despair because Jesus' holds us by the hand as we walk the valleys.

I think on the eerie phone calls made by my phone without me doing it which caused trouble with another. I think on several coincidences which made me look a failure and caused me grief.  I think of my actual sins of which I repented, but still must suffer the consequences. I think on the unfairness of those who judge me by appearances without inquiry. I think on my temptations because they too are hard. I think on the daily struggles which frustrate and stress me. Of all these things I think of ME.

We are all self-focused because that's what Satan wants. He wants us to feel down. His desire is to keep our god of self the focus of our attention. As long as we don't look to Jesus for comfort, as I like to say "Satan Smiles". His job satisfaction is our despair. He wants us to feel down and persecuted because we cower in defeat. It's the things of Satan on which we focus, and our eyes are taken off Jesus. We are where he wants us to be.

This morning, rather than be bound in despair by me in obedience to the serpent, I shall count my many blessings, one by one, for they are what the Lord as done!

  1. I have the hope of eternal life because Jesus promised it to me and I accepted.
  2. In death I shall be alive and all things will be perfect. All despair will be gone forever!
  3. I have the hope that my children shall be saved because that's what I always taught them.
  4. I have great health and my children do as well.
  5. I have a wife for companionship who I love. I won't have to be alone as we "ripen" together.
  6. I have children who love me in spite of the world's deflections.
  7. I have a step-daughter who loves me and five grandchildren who do!
  8. I have granddaughters who are Christians and highly intelligent.
  9. I have a nice home and many comforts. My needs have always been met even in poverty.
  10. I have a great education and have prosperity in retirement because God provided a good job.
  11. I have luxuries I don't deserve, but am blessed with.
  12. I have several good friends who I love back.
  13. I have a Spirit-inspired church. I have a church family who encourage me.
  14. I still have my faculties. 
  15. I live in a great country and a beautiful town in a state I love.
  16. I'm able to do things that men my age shouldn't be doing!
  17. I still have vitality and intimacy with my wife (important at my age!)
  18. I have abilities that I use for God's purposes.
  19. I have love for others. It's a God given  love, not of myself.
  20. When all is said and done, I'm not alone. Even in despair Jesus is with me!
I could count so many more blessings. I count these one by one. They are many! Most people aren't as blessed as we are and especially me! Notice that all these blessings are preceded by "I". God has done so much for me and he doesn't have to. It's by grace that I have what I have because it's all borrowed from him anyhow!

Even if I lose one of these blessings I have so many more. I would hate to ever lose a loved one for any reason, but I still would have my hope remaining. When all is said and done, there's one thing that matters: being with Jesus because then I will never be troubled nor heavy laden.

You see, when we are in despair and feel down, that's where Satan wants us to be. He arranges the occasion for us to be down. It's all his doing, but we wallow in what he does with us without realizing from whom it comes! Things don't just happen for us to despair; we're set up! We fail to look at our blessings from God, but focus on the failures of our own self-appointed "other gods". "It's 'Me' that I worry about! Things aren't going 'My' way. That person hurt 'My' feelings or disappointed 'Me'. He took what was 'Mine'. 'I'm' always sick. 'I'm' always unhappy!"

If we quit fretting on our own misfortunes and count our many blessings, we shall see what the Lord has done... for "Us"... for "Me" and for "You"! When God is given the glory that he deserves things won't be as bad! Satan failed to bring Job down and if you turn to God, the Devil will flee from you just as he did Job!

I'm happy that I have whom I have and what I have! I don't deserve any of it for it's all a gift from God. Neither will I take these gifts for granted because I enjoy them at God's pleasure. If we allow him to, Satan can take them away one by one (See the Book of Job). We need to be happy with how things are and with what God has supplied. Things can be much worse and when we tamper with our blessings, they can cease to be. I have life and hope. Satan can never take those away! That's all I truly need! What else I have is luxury. Thank you Lord for your many blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment