Monday, March 28, 2016

It May Be Too Late

Can you imagine the elation the eleven apostles had when they saw Jesus alive after he suffered death! Peter was surely ashamed. He denied Jesus thrice. John was there. He wrote that he was. There were several disciples who remain unnamed. However, most who came to the crucifixion were "the haters", soldiers and many who were there to leer and jeer. For some this crucifixion was great entertainment. I'm sure that many laughed as they read the sign on the cross "King of the Jews".  Which member of the audience would you be?

Even the most faithful failed to believe that Jesus would live again. There faith just wasn't that strong! Even his mother mourned as Jesus arranged for her care, although he was not going to his death, but because he was going to spend some time with his Father! Basically, Jesus was saying "John, take care of my mother while I go to spend time with my Father." Jesus knew where he was going and although he dreaded death, he didn't fear it! He defeated death and it had no "sting" for him as he asked "Where is your victory?" (1 Corinthians 15:55).

I'm bearing that time we all dread from the very day we think on it!
Hebrews 9:27 'And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:"
For me I was about six years old when I considered the finality of death. I didn't understand faith and hope at that time and the resurrection was meaningless without understanding death. At six years-old I felt the fear of the sting and I feared death! That's way to young, but we must all fear death so that we make a decision: continue in despair or seek relief? For me, I chose to find the cure for this fear; the cure for fear is hope!  When I was about fourteen I was born again, It's when I realized how weak I was and I needed someone to save me from eternal death. A person can "experiment" with religions all they desire, but the conclusion must be the same if one accepts truth: Jesus is the way and only way for eternal life (John 14:6).

Although I reached out for the hand of Jesus as he offered salvation to me, I'm still stung by the fear of death. There are all types of fear. Like Jesus I care for my loved ones and I don't want to leave them. I fear that the world will keep getting worse and many more will go to hell. I fear the thought of the coffin or the ashes from which I came. I fear the actual sting of death where the poison steals my lifeblood. There may be pain with my demise and I dread it! Even knowing in advance that in one-second I'm dead is a terrifying thought!

Like my Dad before me, I don't fear what's on the other side; I fear crossing over. There are three possibilities: nothingness, hell or heaven; all for eternity. Scripture teaches only the latter two. Atheists fantasize on the deterministic possibility of eternal nothingness. Even that fiction "scares the hell out if me" If tomorrow I was to die, the record is closed. Nothing more will ever happen to me nor by me. It's the end. That's depressing and scary!

I'm going to heaven; not because I decided to and am striving to do so! I'm going to rise from the dead and live forever because Jesus proved it's possible! Because he now lives, I have that same trust. If God can do it for Jesus, he can do it for me. Jesus is the way to eternal life, but it's a strait gate and narrow path. By "strait" it's meant that through Jesus only and by "narrow", it's a lifetime commitment that few will make.  What is it that we're "saved" from? Hell and death! How are we saved? By resurrection just as Jesus did! In order for salvation to have any merit, it's goal must be obtainable. If resurrection is  not possible we're not saved from anything!

Yesterday was the anniversary of Jesus' Resurrection. We celebrated that event in remembrance of him. Easter is the time to HAVE hope or GET hope. For those of us who have bought into God's Plan for us, we have hope! For those who haven't signed up for the gift of eternal life, fear that sting because you will be stung... for eternity.

You think "I'll do that later when all the fun in life is over!" You damn yourself! It's not something you just decide to do one day when you get tired of having fun. It's something you're called by the Spirit to accept. Your heart can become calloused and with a hard heart, you'll never submit. You need to decide NOW because "later may be too late!"



No comments:

Post a Comment