Friday, April 22, 2016

Coatesville: Part 12

As we travel west on Walnut Street many memories restore themselves. I remember walking along the backyards from Delps to Darnells to Powells and on through Davidsons and Buffos to the Herrin home. I remember shedding tears because no one would play with me when I was in grade school as I walked along this often traveled path.  This path was at the back of each lot. It was a shortcut which I hope those families never cared that I traveled.

Of course the most usual path was along the sidewalks where I passed the Powell fence of stone. Chuck and I relaid it years ago where the mortar had crumbled, making it like new again. I remember the trips from home to downtown or uptown or whatever it was!

My sister Judy told me one day "I'll buy you a Pepsi if you go to town and get me one." I accepted and ran with great speed toward Pyle's old store. There I bought two ice cold Pepsi Colas and put one in each pocket. As I ran south on Milton along the sidewalk, at that stone fence, one bottle slipped from my pocket and shattered on the concrete. I remember it exploding in a mass of foam, My yearning heart was by then breaking. I could even taste the cool refreshing taste of that bottle of "pop" because we seldom had such beverages in our home.

When I arrived home, I set the one remaining Pepsi on the table in front of me. Judy said "Where's mine?" to which I replied "I broke yours." sadly with pitiful eyes, to which Judy replied "No! You broke yours!" I was heart-broken as I watched her slowly drink that bottle of pop. She was and is still the best sister ever, but not that good! She didn't share hers. Stupidity, I learned, has consequences. Mine was disappointment!

Most of the time when going to the Delps, it was by the backyard route. There was much excitement there! I remember Mr. Delp had a mint green English Ford which he tried to get running. He was building up the peddles so that Billy could drive it. Billy was my friend. So was Jim. I did more things with Billy though because he was in my class at school.

Sometimes when I was with Billy at a ballgame, someone would stare and say "Look at the midget." because short people were uncommon in Coatesville before the media blitz of years later. I've seen Billy reach high and grab the shirt color of someone much taller. He would say "I'm not a midget; I'm a dwarf!" with his gruff voice. No one ever challenged him. I could tell that his feelings were hurt, though. It's good that "little people" is the term in vogue now. It spares somewhat those painful feelings.

Billy and I had conversations about that. I never understood why he was so short, but later learned that it's caused by the secretions of the pituitary gland not performing. In those days a fix was sought but it was never found.  Billy shared strong feelings with me. He wondered 'why me?'. I've seen him many times suppress tears. I felt badly for him, but had no capacity to help. Billy was jovial most of the time. He did well and had many friends. How could anyone not like Billy Delp with his deep laugh?

If a question was asked "What do you remember most about Bill Delp?" I would not think first of his stature, but his set-shot at basketball! Bill was deadly, even shooting over the tallest defense. When someone dogged him tightly on the court, Billy would zip right around them and shoot right through their arms. He had a deadly lay-up as well. In his basketball mind he was seven-feet tall. If his height had matched his fantasy, Billy would have been a starter on Cascade's team!

Billy married a woman he told me was five-feet-ten. The last time I saw him, he was in Mooresville. It turned out that he wasn't Billy at all. It was his son, a knock-off of his old dad.

I've already spoken of the mint vodka incident with Billy, There were many more. I may have left the impression that Billy and I were drinkers. That's not the case! In all honesty none of my friends were drinkers. We were blessed to have such clean good friends in this small town. I never had more than a few occasions where we were drinking alcohol. I quit tee-totally on my twenty-first birthday at the King's Armor in Flint, Michigan. I never looked back!

In our day, I know of not one person who used drugs of any sort in Coatesville. Even the most redneck friends of mine never did. I credit Coatesville's stunted growth in the sixties for this. Our society was always about ten years behind what was in vogue in the larger cities. The only person that I knew of who used drugs was Denny Vinson of Stilesville. That was rumored, but I believe it was true.

While Billy Delp was small for his age, Jimmy was tall. Jimmy was also a good basketball player. All of us played often at Coatesville Elevator in the winter and at the park in the summer months. That goal had a heavy gauge chain net which played a beautiful song when one "stripped the net" that being a smooth shot with no rim contact. Many of us could grab the rim at the park because the goal was about 2-inches short of ten feet.

Each of us had our technique in shooting. I've already described Billy's. Joe Jones always stuck out his tongue as he leaned back with his one-handed set shot. Joe scrambled through arms and legs for his smooth layup as if they weren't even there! He was deadly too, as his career at Cascade proved.

Max Dean was a riot. He had a red flattop haircut which was in vogue at the time. I'm sure Marv Robinson cut his because Max's haircut looked like all the others in town! (Herrins never had a barber because of the cost, Mom cut all our hair all the time!).

Max wore bluejeans. His were new. Ours wasn't. His were not torn. Ours was! Herrins set the style for jeans which came years later. Torn jeans... and we were ashamed, but now it's cool! We were just born before our time, I guess.

The reason that I remember Max's jeans is that he rolled them up quite high. He invented "high water" pants. Why? So he could obviously show his nice white basketball socks. Max always dressed that way! I believe, if memory still serves me, that he wore a white belt as well.

Ted Von Tress would drive his white Vette up and play ball with us younger guys. He married Linda White Pettit and visited me at the Corvette Plant years later a few times. The Von Tress/Von Treas name is common around Alvaton, Kentucky here in Warren County. Ted played ball for Amo and was in my sister's class.

Jimmy Delp was a great friend... most of the time. However, I did a series of perceived "wrongs" to eight of my friends. Jim dated Sharon Horner from Clayton. I stopped at her house to talk one day. No. I didn't "hit on her" as we called it then, but Jim was upset that his girl talked to another guy.

I gave David Hill's girl friend a ride in my '49 green Dodge. I took her to Sharon's and dropped her off. I became David's enemy that day.

Ronnie Love was my natural enemy. We were always into it. (More on that shortly). He was after me as well.

All told, there were eight "friends" who saw me at the park. I was shooting basketball by myself since I was public enemy number one. All of a sudden there was a mob standing by the court, led by Dave Hill. I knew it was trouble because Dave was fuming. Gene was there too. He is part of the Ronnie Love story.

David stood upfront. All the others were behind him.  Dave was known for his temper and violence. Here he stood red-faced before me. He mumbled something about hitting on his girl friend. I surveyed the odds and took the sane strategy. David swung and hit me in the mouth. My lower lip spewed blood. I didn't strike back because the odds were great; 8:1. I simply stood there bleeding and wiping my mouth. I made a wise decision. David apologized to me and all the others wandered off.

To this day I have a lump on my lower lip. Whenever I chew on it as I tend to do, I think of David Hill, 51 years later!

While at this point, it's timely to discuss Ronnie Love. We were playing basketball at the park with a large group. J.D. Ellett was parked near the basket working on his white 57 Chevy. He had the hood up. For some reason Ronnie insulted me. I forget why. I got him in a headlock and he bit me on the side underneath my left armpit. His bite was hard and he wouldn't quit biting. I was screaming in pain!

I dragged Ronnie over to J.D.'s Chevy with him still firmly attached to my skin much like a tick or leach. I picked him up, threw him on the engine and slammed the hood twice on him. Ronnie still had his teeth in my skin!

As I was struggling to free myself from Ronnie, Gene Hill came up behind me and hit me over the head with a two-by-four. I blacked out as I fell to the ground. Ronnie was no longer eating my flesh, but a few minutes later I came to. Gene was settled down, and Ronnie was gone. I was left bleeding with teeth marks and excruciating pain. It took years for those bites to lose their red color and blend in, but the scar is still there. How can I NOT still think of Coatesville? It scarred me for life!

Before we leave the Delps, let's talk some about the others for their were many!  The following is from Bob Delp's Obituary. I didn't know Bob for he was much older:

Delp
Feb. 2, 2003 
Robert "Bob" Delp of Greencastle died Feb. 2 at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Bradenton, Fla. He was 69. Born Jan. 23, 1934, in Potomac, Ill., he was a son of the late Estine Ora and Ada Marie (York) Delp. He married Eleanor L. Yeager Aug. 5, 1955, at the Greencastle Christian Church. She survives. Mr. Delp was a 1952 graduate of New Winchester High School. He worked 40 years at Allison Gas Turbine/Rolls Royce in Indianapolis before retiring in 1992. He also served 35 years in the Indiana National Guard 38th Division. He was a member of the Hanna Street Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon. He was a past member of the Greencastle Community School Board. He was a member of the American Legion and the United Auto Workers Local 933. He was active with Little League and Babe Ruth baseball. He also worked as an assistant coach and timer for the Greencastle cross country team. He had formerly played on the Greencastle Travelers Basketball Team. Additional survivors include daughters Cathy Hartman of Plainfield and Karen Bromm of Indianapolis; brothers Everett Delp of Lizton, Donald Delp of Indianapolis, James Delp of Greenwood, and Billy Delp of Mooresville; sisters Shirley Ross of Nebraska, Irene Shoeing of Texas, Mary Delp of Plainfield, Betty Sutton of Martinsville, Loretta Fay Grouns of Spencer and Judy Shields of Florida; two grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. Services were Feb. 8 at New Life Baptist Church in Greencastle with the Rev. Patrick Smith officiating. Interment was at Forest Hill Cemetery. Bittles and Hurt Funeral Home in Greencastle handled arrangements. Memorials may be made to the Hanna Street Baptist Church, 501 E. Hanna St., Greencastle, IN 46135 or to Seedline Ministries, 5409 S. C.R. 250 E. Greencastle, IN 46135.
To be truthful, the years had stolen the names of the Delp parents: Estine and Ada. If the truth be known, I'm not sure anyone knew Mr. Delp's first name! He may have been called "Ora" rather than by his first name. He was a big man, serious but friendly. He seemed to adore his many children. I remember helping him start a boat which he had in his shed out back. As he pulled the cord it failed to start. Because I was a little slow, for I must have been, I stood behind him as he pulled hard on the cord. Suddenly the motor responded and his arm shot back hitting me squarely in the left eye. I had a shiner there for quite some time.

It blurred my vision and at the next ball game I was catching a fly ball. Because my vision was blurred, I missed the catch and my right eye was hit with full force. I now was the proud recipient of two black eyes! Yes, "proud"! Why because kids seek attention and most bragged when they got a black eye, but I had two!

There were Delp girls too! All were older than me. Fay was slightly older, but she was a "killer". Her beauty was unsurpassed by few in Coatesville. Of course Vicky West was  top notch, but so was Fay. I do remember her being Loretta, but to us, she was Fay. I suppose that many of us truly spent time with the Delps because of Fay, and of course, Mary. She was Fay's older sister and quite attractive herself. Whereas Fay had dark hair and a dark complexion, Mary was a blond. Us younger guys nearly did hand stands to get their attention, but their minds were on the older boys.

Some of the others visited us at home and we saw them at their's. I believe that most of them were already married when I knew them. I vaguely remember Irene, but not the others.

This was a fine family. It seems that most of them have done well. It appears that the Delp family probably moved to Clayton for they are both buried there.

Estine Ora Delp was born in Parke County in 1901 and died in Indianapolis in 1982. He was the son of Chancey C. Delp and Marjorie Daughtery. He was a truck driver and farmer.

Ada York Delp was born in 1909 and died in Plainfield in 1999, the daughter of Killis Nelson York and Frances Emerson. By a strange coincidence Ada's parents were from Pulaski County, Kentucky, my own place of birth. Her mother was Sarah Meece. I have first cousins who married into the Meeces of Pulaski County.

Next to the Delps was the Primitive Baptist Church. They had services there on alternating Sundays with other churches of like faith. Dad and I attended there one time. It was all day Sunday! They stopped for lunch and had a nice spread. Many wore work clothes and sat around a wood burning stove between services. The building was white clapboard and without a steeple as I remember.

There were many on Walnut who we saw, but didn't know. I do remember the family on the north of the street who had a handicapped son. It was an emotional disturbance I'm sure because he rocked back and forth in the car as they traveled. They were nice, but very elderly by this time.

This brings me to Ida Bugg. I don't believe that she lived on Walnut, but perhaps it was south of the tracks on the east part of town. She was very elderly, stooped badly, and she bought corn cobs from me to start her fire. I just remembered her. A very nice lady!

Ida was born in 1877 in Harrison County, Kentucky to Jacob Huffman and Sarah Stadler. She died in 1965 in Bainbridge. Ida married  James Bugg who died in 1947.

Further west on Walnut were the Waltons and Kivetts. Wayne Kivett was married to the daughter of Vern William Walton and Minnie Harmon whose name was Christina. With time I have gotten all the Waltons confused, but there was Donald, Ray, Harold called Bob, and Harry as well as several daughters. William's brother was Leonard, called Pete, Walton who was town marshal for a while after Glen Curtis. William and Pete were sons of John Walton and Sarah Ray. It seems that it was Harry Walton who lived next to Wayne Kivett.

Gracie Hathaway was Pete Walton's sister. Doris Runnels, Herb and Rex Hathaway were her children, hence cousins of the Waltons, and the Kivetts.

Proceeding further, Anna Morgan, wife of Harry Morgan, was the sister to Vern William and Leonard Walton. Marjorie Wingler was their daughter, hence Winglers and Hathaways were cousins.

Grace Walton Hathaway's sisters were Anna Morgan, Mary Huble and Floy Spencer, the latter two who I did not know.

The Wingler's lived on Broadway St. Marjorie was married to Maurice "Tubby" Wingler. She generously played piano at my own wedding at Coatesville Methodist Church. Most of the Walton's, Runnels and Winglers also were members there.

Wayne Kivett had a plumbing shop "downtown" next to Pyles grocery at that time or right across the street on Milton from Pyle's new store.

Wayne was a preacher as well. His church was Knightstown United Methodist.  He was a fine man.  Wayne was born in 1917 and lived a long life being 88 when he passed in 2005.

Wayne Kivett and Christina Walton's son was Lawrence "Larry" Kivett. I remember him well, but he was a few years older than I was, so I have few memories of him. He was quiet, studious and a hard worker as I remember. Wayne was born in Morgan County to Frank Kivett and Pearl Oliver.

I'm missing a few homes of families on Walnut Street, but Roy and Ella Mae "Ellie" Johnson lived on what was the end of the street at that time. It since has been extended. The Johnsons came from Tennessee, I remember, because quite often they would go "down home" Ellie was my own mom's best friend. Whenever mom would get lonely she would go and visit Ellie or perhaps Murl Walters on the corner of Mill and Waters Street.

Ellie, like mom and I believe even Roy, didn't drive. In the south those with no wealth had no car so driving was a luxury they did not have. Mom would sometimes sneak off in our salmon colored 1956 Studebaker wagon and head toward her sister's home, Jessie Carlton, outside New Winchester. It was quite a ride for us young boys because mom had no concept of the laws of the road and was as nervous as a tick on a hound dog.

I remember when we lived in Hazelwood, dad was teaching her to drive his model T Ford down Jacktown Road. He told mom to "turn here". Mom turned, ran into someone's yard and hit a tree. Dad exclaimed  "Agnes what are you doing?" She replied "You said "Turn here!" It was all his fault.

Mom was unique. Dad thereafter always drove except when mom was cavorting (with no license). Dad used street signs for directions. Mom used natural markers. "You were supposed to turn at that tree, Elston, because I remember it from last time!' Then an argument would ensue, especially when the marker was a Holstein cow!

Ellie Johnson was the daughter of Liburn Fisher and Mary Johnson. of Lee County, Virginia. She was born in 1912 and died in 2002. She and Roy had children: L.J., Pleas, Hugh, Colby and Paul for the sons and daughters were: Ruby Heavin, Sereda Daniels, Lorene Decker, Ann Toney and Mona Sue Johnson who died as a teen.

Ellie's sister, Rosie, married an Eldridge of Lee County, Virigina. My own great-grandmother was married to John Eldridge in Lee County. Again... small world!

Sereda was married to Melvin Daniel and they lived on West Main Street. Melvin had a gray Ford tractor. He plowed our garden each year as he did many others.

Roy Johnson worked at Bridgeport Brass for many years before he retired. He was a strict disciplinarian as I remember. Before Colby and I could run off to do things, we helped Roy in his big garden. One conversation went like this as Colby was doing deficient work; "Colby. Do it right! Don't do things half way when you do them. You wouldn't want only half a tater would ya?" That was Roy.

Roy was born in 1906 and died in 1981. They were married in 1928.

There were many Johnson kids as you see. Most of them were older. Pleas lived out on Hwy 75 by the railroad and L.J lived on West Main Street, I believe.

Hugh lived at home for awhile after graduation. He would often pay Colby and I to help him detail his 1959 Black Ford Galaxy which was always spotless to start with.  He was a quiet person, a good shot at basketball and somewhat of a loner. He graduated with my sister Judy.

Paul was the youngest. He and I double-dated for a time. His date was Ginny York and I dated Cathy Baker, both from Clayton. It's evil of me to admit it now, but one night after our double-date I dropped Paul off first, Cathy second and Ginny last. She kissed well! Yes, I was a dirty rat, but hopefully grew up after that. My belated apologies to all!

Paul, when he was about 14, was playing basketball. He created a new sport actually. It was "hit the basketball with a baseball bat". When he did so, the bat bounced back swiftly and smacked him on the tongue. There was a huge cut on it and it swelled. "What happened, Paul?" I asked. He replied "I hut my ton wid a bazbull bad." "And how did you do that?" "I wad hutin the bskboll wid da bad."

Paul always aimed with his tongue when playing ball. In fact Paul aimed with his tongue when he did anything!  He was a superb basketball player. Better than Colby for sure.

Colby and I ran around together quite often. Most of the time he was one of my best friends. At other times we would fuss and fight. He was smaller, but faster than me and I took his fist in my mouth one time. I don't remember for what, but it really hurt that we came to blows.

Colby and I, as well as Paul, Steve Trump, Fuzzy Woods, and several others would play "slips" a sort of group game of "tag". We would play much of the day and up into dusk. That was the curfew of most of us to be home. The boundaries for slips was the town limits. Other than that there were few rules. Some even rode bicycles in the game. I remember hiding under the desk in the church basement at the Missionary Baptist Church when it was flooded with water. I could hear them sloshing around in two feet of water hunting me, but I wasn't found!

One big problem with slips was that many would just quit playing while others were sill hiding out. Smart players would meet at an agreed upon time somewhere. Gullible players would still be hiding long after most had quit!

Colby dated Sandy Beaman from Indianapolis who stayed with her grandparents on West Main during the summer. She was Warney Beaman's cousin; a pretty blonde. We spent much time together because Sandy would bring her friend Kathy Kladden with her who I befriended. That was the days previous to Joyce Burnett.

Joyce was from rural Hazelwood. Her dad was Welby Burnett and in later years they moved to Coatesville. Welby worked with dad at Allsion's back then. That's when we too lived outside Hazelwood. The Burnetts and my family were really close. I always wondered why and recently found out. They were also from Pulaski County, Kentucky and it turns out that I am related to them three different ways on my mom's side of the family. Colby married Joyce. My own nephew by marriage, Dean Fishel, is Glenda Burnett Fishel's son. Glenda is Joyce's sister. It's s small world indeed!

We didn't get Christmas presents. There was no money for that. At Christimas time the union at Allisons would have a Christimas party. All us younger Herrin kids would pile into Welby's sstation wagon  and head to the union hall.  There they would give us all treats and the kids would get one toy. I remember getting a metal helicopter. Except for my set of "Fanner Fifties" from my brother Richmond and a plastic toy with middle finger out from Carroll, that was the only toy that I received as a kid.

My parents had no money for gifts and I used my own earnings for clothes for school. When we had Christimas drawings I would rig it to get my own name or trade another name for my own. My parents didn't have the money for toys for us let alone others. That was my way of helping out.

Billie Jamison often had biorthday parties. I always skipped them rather than go empty handed. Billie understood. He would fill me in on what I missed.

At school. after Christimas vacation, we sometimes were required to write an essay on what we got for Christmas. My paper was all fantsasy. Billie remarked one time "I never saw that." I never answered and he knew why! It never existed.

Across from the Johnson's were the John Jellison family. He preached for a spell in the building that held Dan Bennett's insurance office just north of the Standard Station.

John Jellison and Saphronia Smith were the parents of John and Eddie Johnson. Alberta Johnson married Eddie's son. Alberta married Pleas Johnson in Putnam County in 1937. I remember her well. Of course she was in her forties then, an old woman by the standards of a teenager, but she was gorgeous!  Eddie Jellison of course was her father and Alice Madd her mother.

Neighbors married neighbors. It created a small world. Most churches consist of groups of cousins, some with the same last names and others buried with marriage, It's never safe to criticize someone in a small town because it is likely someone's cousin or cousin-in-law.  It's the same everywhere, but more likely in towns small enough to be "villes". As you can see, Coatesville is no different.

Later we'll proceed on down Mill Street and turn down Water Street and meet the Walters and the Duncans before moving on.








No comments:

Post a Comment