Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Things

"Things" are the core of what "the self" desires. "Things" are what's owned or what people do. "Things" are the objects of one's desires. "Things" are with what vain people surround themselves. "Things" are the currency of success. "Things" are truly the opiate of the people! "Things" are what surrounds and own us. "Things" are your regimen. "Things" are mere "things", but they can control us. "Things" are desires which interfere with communion with God:
Mark 4:19 (ESV) "...but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful."
"Things" are desires which choke out the world and steals the fruits of the Spirit which are the truly good "things" in life:
Galatians 5:22 (ESV)  "... the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
In contrast to good "things" are the bad. Those "things are what controls us!
 Galatians 5:19 (ESV) "Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."
Yes, "things" are more activities and behaviors than material objects, but includes things made.  "Man-made things" can be impure, we can idolize them, we can strive to get them,  we can be angry because we fail to have them, we can compete for more of them, they can interfere with relationships, and so forth. Some weird people  even have impure thoughts with "things". And scripture says there are other "things like this" and people are in danger if they "do such things". You see evil "things" are impurities which diminish our communion with God.

Adam and Eve had all the "things" they needed. None were evil. The "thing" which was most precious to them was "communion" with their Maker. After taking whatever "thing" from the tree that had appeal, the "things" that they received were twofold: reason and death. Their hope was stolen for a time!  Innocence is life. Reason leads to death because rationale can lead to false "things"; things which are not truth. Since God is Truth, "things of the flesh" are those items and behaviors which seem to provide pleasure, but are painful in a divine sense.

Right this moment I sit in my new home; half the size of the one before it! It's a new "thing" which was desired by our hearts. Inside this "thing" are more "things". Wherever I look I am surrounded and cluttered by material objects; all these "things" which we possess. We can determine our desires by what we have because we were attracted to and procured all these "things". They dominate our world and are our mask which conceals the heart. When people see our "things" it's comfort and happiness which is most apparent, but right below that is discontentment because when one has "things" there are more "things" which are desired.

Right now I am dwarfed by "things". I have "things" which have no value to me, but yet here they are! They sit here deaf and dumb, but scream loudly, "I am a representation of you. Love me I demand!" I'm smothered by "things". There is no true love for "things"; they are unrequited love. I can love them, but they'll never love me back! They are my world, but I don't love them. They are a mere nuisance.  These "things" which are mine are from God. It's my attitude which determines who my God is:
1 John 2:15 (ESV) "[ Do Not Love the World ] Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him."
I have "things", but I don't love them. They are for my use, but belong to God. Think not? Look at to whom they belong when I'm gone. I must thank God for their use. They have brought comfort, but not love. They are "things of the world" and "the things of my desire", but yet they are not really mine. How ironic that all the "things" I have are not even mine. I don't worship them, but some  delude me into doing just that!

My heart tells me "I love that T-bird". The truth is that it's a false love. It's a "thing".

My heart tells me "I love those beautiful fountain pens in my collection.", but the truth is, they provide little happiness. They cannot even love me back!

My heart tells me "I love this new home. It's a comfortable thing!", but yet my soul is not consoled by this "thing".

There is a "thing" which comforts, makes me joyful, keeps me safe, and causes me to love. That "thing" is hope. It's not tangible, but it's valuable.
 1 Thessalonians 1:3 (ESV) "...remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ."
Ah! It's hope in being with the Lord Jesus which is "the thing" which is critical. That's the "thing" which I have, but many don't. I met a man yesterday who seemed to have no hope. I had a "thing" which he had not, but I could tell that's what he wanted. I told him about my "thing" which made life bearable. I saw restrained tears, not that they dripped, but it was the look of pain as they were held back. Perhaps he will consider "things" and get the one "thing" which truly matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment