Monday, October 9, 2017

Bragging Rights

I will brag a little here. There is much of which I am ashamed - even at this moment, but there is much which I can brag about. It's okay to "brag" of what one does for the Lord if the heart is not in it for God's credit. Even the apostle Paul bragged:
2 Corinthians 11:23 Are they (false teachers) ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
Then Paul used the next several sentences to elaborate on his "bragging rights". None of those brags were for self-glory but to acknowledge his living sacrifices to Christ - i.e., his reasonable services (Romans 12:1).  This was not Saul speaking; it was the new creature - Paul. Paul was as zealous for God, as the old creature was against God. Paul took many of the same punishments which Saul had dished out - even unto death. Paul had bragging rights because he sacrificed himself to God.

Saul was struck blind by Jesus but in his darkness he saw the Light! Neither you nor I were struck blind to be born-again. However,  Paul was a zealot. God needed Saul the zealot to be Paul the zealot. Paul took the persecution as handily as Saul had implemented it. What Paul did was extremely hard work because he had a choice. His decision surely didn't come easy. Saul changed in attitude for the Lord, and God's new creature had a new name, and a new attitude.

Saul was part of God's plan from the Creation. The same Light that lit the darkness on day-one when the earth was born, is the same Light that lit the darkness when Saul was reborn. Pre-natal Paul lived in Saul. By God's grace Paul was delivered  from the gestation of darkness, and was crowned apostle as he emerged in the Light.

Paul had bragging rights; he changed. Paul worked hard to change but the Ghost of Jesus accompanied him through it all. Paul could have never persevered alone, let alone Saul, but with Jesus at his side, he came through until his service was done!

Paul withstood the thirty-nine knouts from the whip among other trials:
2 Corinthians 11:24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. 25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27  In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. 28  Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
These inflictions were all "reasonable services to God". As he took the whip and the rods, my proposal is that he took them silently. I would bet Paul never even said "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" because Paul knew He had not. Jesus was right there Comforting Paul as he endured pain. The Holy Ghost made the pain bearable.

I would gamble that Paul never cursed, blasphemed, said evil or hateful things or used God's name in vain during his persecutions. For that, Paul has bragging rights. I would gamble that after the new person - Paul was born, that he never uttered a filthy word, drank unto insobriety,  partied with the world, or was neglectful in his worship. I would bet Paul never said Chese mas or Gamóto, common Greek expressions equivalent to English's most vulgar words.

I bet Paul never used dekára in reference to JHVH "damning" another person! In other words, Paul was holy. He was always Christ-like because he walked with Jesus!
1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

And Paul bragged again:
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
Paul followed Christ in his walk with him. He was Christ-like in attitude and behavior. He was even persecuted much as Christ was! Paul's attitude was WWJD? (What would Jesus do?). Jesus would never take his Father's name in vain, use filthy words, get drunk, party wildly or other things of the world which most in the flesh do.

Compared to Paul, I have very little to brag about. Like Paul, I am a "chief sinner". Unlike basketball where near-misses don't count, with sin we all miss the mark but it's the effort in it that matters. There are few layups, but if one cannot get the layups, the three-pointers are an impossibility.

I will brag on my layups. God took away my use of filthy or undesirable words at 22 years old, once I quit being a babe in Christ.  Before that, even as a chief sinner, did I ever use God's/Jesus' name in vain or ever damn anyone. (See, even sinners can obey what is obvious!) I quit using alcoholic beverages on my twenty-first birthday. (I have tasted it since and have no regrets).

Contrary to the excuse of Bill Clinton, and I am of his generation, but no, we all didn't smoke marijuana. To this day I have never even considered it because to take Jesus seriously we are to be vigilant and sober (1 Peter 5:8). Why would one choose inebriation or insobriety of any sort? The answer is simple: it removes inhibitions. That state leads to sinful behavior. If I choose to sin, I don't need the drugs because if I sin, at least I would want to be sober enough to enjoy it (sarcasm intended).

My list of bragging rights are short. However, I am in God's House about every time it is open. It's not I who goes there, but God who leads me to His House. I merely follow his Way. Of course, being in church doesn't cancel out sin, but it does keep one more conscious of righteousness. I always have  God's will on my mind, even though at times I am weak, just as Paul was.

If we do things for God, there is no shame in telling about it. It lets others know that it is possible to not sin, even though at times we fail. I find the layups easy, but still struggle with the three-pointers - loving God and others, and blocking the sins of the heart.

Satan knows my strong-holds. I quit stealing as a youth. However, at times I am still tempted to steal. Because I am at least in the game, Jesus blocks Satan for me, as I take these easy layups! Not stealing is a gimme! Most of the other layups are also gimme's with God's help. The Holy Ghost is there with me.

I still have so much sin on my life. God expects purity but I manifest impurity. Sometimes my three-pointers, which I get the credit for, are dirty-playing. I get the credit as I elbow God - my own team-mate Jesus out of the way. He's a sportsman; He still loves me because He knows that I know who my Captain is!

Enough of me but admittedly I am still ashamed since I am impure. Jesus is ashamed of me as well. My only bragging rights are that I take the easy shots even though I miss most of the long ones. Many others fail to even get the low-hanging fruits; they don't even attempt the layups!

Christians are assured that they are by their works.
Hebrews 10:26  For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.
Of course, those who misuse "by grace alone" don't buy into this, but our ability to not sin is by grace.  Each sin is a personal decision, and with the Holy Ghost at our side, He will make it possible. Therefore, not sinning is the evidence that we are walking with Jesus.

It bothers this sinner when others sin. Not because I am sin-free, but I have remorse for the sins of others, as I do for my own, for we all disappoint God. I just want to encourage other Christians to at least attempt the layups in practice for the longshots. God doesn't keep score, but that will tally up on your own score-sheet. If you are skilled at the layups, with practice, you will get more skillful at the tough shots which God likes best!




No comments:

Post a Comment