Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Jeopardy

There is a gameshow called "Jeopardy". However, jeopardy is not a game but reality. It is putting one in a position to suffer possible loss. When the contestant hits the bell to provide the question for the answer which is given, they jeopardize their winnings.

In life, people jeopardize themselves all the time. The stock market, being volatile, puts any investor in jeopardy. Usually, anything which is a gamble jeopardizes.

In sports, that blind pass behind the back puts the player in jeopardy. If he misses the target, a point may be lost, and the player benched.

In Christianity, we are not to "enter into temptation (Luke 22:40). If we do, we increase the chance of losing - sinning.
James 1:14  But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
The loss which may occur if we enter into temptation is communion with God. With a life of unrepentant sin, one may jeopardize their safety.

On the other hand, living for God may jeopardize our relationship with the world. That is okay but difficult. Christians are to be different:
Titus 2:14 Who (Jesus) gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. 
Jesus wants us to be different! In fact, He wants us to be peculiar, even zealots. I am  a Christian fundamentalist. Because my faith is not liberal, of course it follows that I am "right wing".  Being an evangelical Christian is good-standing with God but anathema to the world.

As Jesus overcame the world, Christians are to do so as well:
1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world...
How are we to overcome the world? By standing firm in our faith. We are to trust God although it is unpopular.  The outcome of having strong faith, and thus Christian fortitude, is that the zealot for Christ - the peculiar person, is in jeopardy of losing communion with the world. That's not bad. In fact, that is Jesus's intent. The ultimate way of overcoming the world is to sacrifice one's life for Jesus! He doesn't require us to do that, but we are to sacrifice our flesh - the desires of the world:
Romans 12:1 ... present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
We are to quit living for the world, and live for Jesus. That is "double jeopardy". When one has faith until the end, that is "final jeopardy".  Jesus provided the answer; we must only stand there and accept His answer. We win when we merely stand firm for Him! In fact, we are never to question because we have the answer.

The answer is you (not just you, but plural you). What is the question? Who should not perish? I hear the bell ringing right now:
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 
When I write, I take a stand for Jesus. I attack sin. The world does not like that! I just applied for my book, The Skull of Adam,  to be in the local book fair in the spring. I knew it was in jeopardy because of my faith. Since, I was required to submit my Facebook and blog to the scrutiny of their panel, I knew that I was in jeopardy. I knew in advance that the establishment-type board would reject my entry because I am a peculiar person, and a zealot for Christ.

My brother and I discussed this beforehand. He said, "You must not sacrifice your principles for gain." I concurred, and didn't go back and edit my commentary. I stood there in jeopardy with eyes wide open. Just as I predicted, neither of my books were accepted. Am I surprised? Not at all, even though I am a local writer. Of course, in my pride, I believe my books are worthy, but perhaps not! On the other hand, one excuse I received was the quantity of books of that genre. Just how many fiction books on the creation in first person are there out there? Probably none other!

Christians will always be in jeopardy with the world. That's why Christ came. To stand there for us. He knowingly jeopardized and gave his own life for ours. I can stand a little jeopardy for his Name's sake. So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment