Friday, December 15, 2017

Confidence in Whom?

Is it important to have confidence in oneself? Actually, this is a coy way of saying, "I should have self-esteem." I have written on self-esteem before. (see http://kentuckyherrin.blogspot.com/2013/07/christ-esteem-answer-to-self-esteem.html).

"Confidence" is " a feeling or consciousness of one's powers or of reliance on one's circumstances" (Merriam-Webster Dictionary) which is identical to "self-confidence".

In the Bible, the word "confidence" is used 39 times in the following contexts: God-21,  others-13, things-3,  places-1, and self-1. It's clear that we must have confidence but not in oneself! Even when people had confidence in others or things that confidence was in futility unless it was confidence of others in the Lord. As for "things" and "places" those were misplaced confidences. Let's look at the one and only verse, and it's where Paul speaks of self-confidence:
2 Corinthains 10:2 But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
It is Paul who has the confidence, so it seems to be self-confidence. However, "that confidence" is credited to the Lord, and is for the Lord. Paul was fulfilling the Great Commission to preach to the world, and he was doing that with confidence.

Of course, some matters are neither of the self or God. For instance, if a pitcher pitches with confidence, he is more likely to pitch a strike. That type of self-confidence is pragmatic. The problem comes in living in confidence without confidence in Christ. For example, if I am confident that my day will be exceptional, that is depending on the self, others, things, or even places. On the other hand, if I have confidence that God will make my day exceptional with joy, peace, happiness, sobriety, kindness, etc. then it moves from self-confidence to confidence in Christ.

Sobriety is knowing from whom blessings truly come! Sobriety is awareness in spiritual things. Of course, to have that sobriety one must be vigilant and physically sober as well.
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour...
Being born-again entails the enlightenment that you are powerless to save yourself. In other words, a person should never be confident without Christ. Like self-esteem vs. Christ-esteem, one must have confidence in Christ and not self-confidence.  This is obviously in spiritual matters for salvation, but it also applies to life in general.

Let's go back to throwing that baseball accurately: It takes power and vigilance to throw the ball fast and accurately. It is you who throws the ball but it's God who empowers the thrower. Let's move from baseball to sling-shots: David killed Goliath with one sling of the sling-shot. He picked up five smooth stones. He used one of them. The stone that killed Goliath was the "sword of God - His Spirit". The other smooth stones were truth, righteousness, faith, and trust is salvation. (See my  commentary on "Five Smooth Stones" at http://kentuckyherrin.blogspot.com/2016/08/five-smooth-stones.html). David used the "whole armor of God" as we learn from Ephesians 6:9.

David refused Saul's armor, and put on God's whole armor. His confidence was not in the self but God!  In other words, David was the mere "tool" whom God used to kill Goliath. David placed all his confidence in God, although human nature was to be confident in oneself. Now back to the baseball pitcher: With the understanding of David the slinger, perhaps one can understand the baseball pitcher better.

Rather than thinking of himself as powerful, the discerning pitcher realizes that even in benign things such as tossing a good pitch, the credit goes to God.
Deuteronomy 4:7 "...the Lord our God is in all things that we call upon him for?"
God can even place the baseball on that small target as He did the stone on Goliath's forehead! God had a reason for wanting Goliath defeated but I would think that he cares little who wins a baseball game. However, He does want the players to place their confidence in Him in "all things".

If it was God's will, and one has enough confidence - faith in God, the person could move mountains (Matthew 17:20)! Of course there must be a right desire to move the mountain - it must be God's will to move it for His purposes. And of course, one must have confidence that it is God who will move the mountain, and not the person. That struggle between crediting God and oneself is paramount. We should not seek the glory for what God does.

Likewise, if one pitches enough strikes, surely the game will be won. Players think of the glory in that, and with professionals, the money. Few think on how it will bring glory to God except perhaps Tim Tebow and a few others. They are confident in their playing but realize their power comes from God. Tebow regularly gave God the glory for the things He had done!

When I started both my college and work career, I lacked confidence. As time went by, I saw that I was as capable as the others, and felt more comfortable with that confidence. At that time I was already a Christian. As I became more confident, I did better in each. Of course, my confidence, just as my faith, was a gift of God. I came to realize that it was not my power which made me succeed but because God wanted me to! He takes care of those who love Him! Of course, at that young age my love was a selfish love because my belief was more for "fire-insurance". But God is faithful. He gave me confidence but it was from Him!

At this age, I'm fairly cocky. I am sure of myself in many categories. However, my learning and wisdom came from God. I struggle to remember that it is not me who has the power but God! My confidence must not be in me but the giver of all things. For instance, if I had a stroke, confidence in myself would be shaken. What confidence I would have left would be in God. What I am saying is that my mental well-being is because God allows it. I should never take my health or state of mind for granted.

Colossians 3:23 "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men..."
When pitching that ball powerfully, don't pitch for others or yourself; make each pitch as if for the Lord, then when you succeed, credit God in all things.

Nowhere did David say, "Look what I did!" His confidence was in the Lord:
1 Samuel 17:45 "Then said David to the Philistine, 'Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. 46 This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand...'"
David held one stone in his sling. The others he pocketed for comfort. His confidence was in the one "pitch" which was aimed and powered by the Lord God. He said so! God got the glory because it was confidence in Him which killed the giant. When we kill our giant, whatever it is, have confidence in the Lord. If we depend on ourselves, those giants will kill us! 







No comments:

Post a Comment