Friday, February 2, 2018

Anger and Hatred

During President Trump's State of the Union message, I saw ugliness at its worst. Anyone capable of seeing should have recognized that Trump was reaching out. I'm sure the airwaves the last year or so has troubled him much. Constantly being accused of racism and hatred must be enervating.  Of course, he has made some crude remarks but haven't most of us? I'm astounded by the filth and derogatory comments coming from the mouth of anyone. The most profoundly disgusting and hateful are the Hollywood and media bunch.

First off, to call someone a "hater" and "racist" is presumptive. No one can read the contents of the mind of others. However, we know our own very well. Those who continually spew hateful epithets certainly know hatred for it lives within them. In bygone days, when someone flatulated, the denier would announce, the smeller is the feller. Indeed, those who perceive hatred propagate hatred. Like a flatulation, it's invisible, but with the spiritual senses, it can be smelled. 
Leviticus 6:15 And he shall take of it his handful, of the flour of the meat offering, and of the oil thereof, and all the incense which is upon the meat offering, and shall burn it upon the altar for a sweet savour, even the memorial of it, unto the Lord.
The Lord loves the sweet smell of burning incense! It's aroma masks the stench of sin. Hatred is still in the air but the act of offering the perfume covers our human odor!  What incense is it that we should burn before the Lord?
Psalm 141:2 Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Luke 1:10 And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense.
"Incense" is the atmosphere mankind creates for prayer. Prayer covers the "smell" of hatred and division. People don't like it, but we are to pray for our enemies. Admittedly, that is hard to do!

Now for some truth: on the left side of the congress sat haters. There is no question about it. I don't know their hearts, of course, but they loudly proclaimed their disdain for the authority of the President by their facial expressions, lack of respect, and in words said afterward. Although I don't know what is on the inside, I couldn't help but detect their display of hatred on the outside. Mr. Trump was offering reconciliation but those on the left let their pride capture them. As they sat there, it was easily perceived that they were fuming. They were angry people, and the response to anger is hatred.

Hatred is associated with jealousy. The left was resentful that their desires weren't appeased but the right's was.

I perceived that those folks have a severe hatred of the President. To be honest, their attitude was projected onto me; my reaction to their lack of action was that I too was seething inside. I was beginning to hate them as much as they hate the President and people like me - "us basket of deplorables!"
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
I sinned because they were sinning.

My brother and I were talking about that issue yesterday. We agreed: we don't like to be haters! The childish actions of the Democrats made me angry. My self-god needed appeasement but it was not forthcoming. Because of I was discomfited, admittedly I felt hatred inside. I was no better than them!

I like to think my anger is righteous because I defend the tenets of God. That is noble but my attitude was ignoble:
Rom 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 
For the hard-of-spiritual-hearing, it's not me who should deal with God's enemies but God Himself. I rationalize that the enemy of my God is my enemy.  God tells me to love him as myself and my neighbor:
Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you...
I can't argue with God! Because the left is God's enemy, He is the One who will deal with them. What is it that I must do?  Love and pray for them. That is hard work, and why it is commanded. If it was easy, then we would just do it.

Human beings get a satisfaction out of hating others. Of course, contrary to the left, there are many types of hatred beyond all the phobias they have identified. The main one, and my new term, is Christaphobia - the fear of Jesus Christ. Those are the ones that "despitefully use you" (verse 44 above) because they fear God's authority. 

God does not need our hatred. His method is love. I think that I saw love in action from Mr. Trump. He was trying to reconcile to cover the aroma of hatred. The left were angry campers that night, and there incense was the burning dung from prideful people. The dung was afire with burning anger. They and me, two opposites, in harmony together. They hated, and I hated them back. Satan smiled. Jesus cried.

If we get nothing else from the Bible, hatred is wrong. It comes easy and often but it's still wrong. It doesn't come from only the right or left; Satan is an equal opportunity hater. He has plenty to go around for everyone.

Loving our enemies is indeed hard work. Jesus said, give unto Caesar what is Caesar's" (Mat 22:21). Jesus hated Caesar's many sins, but he loved Caesar. In fact, Jesus died for him! Tiberias Augustus was one of the "whosoevers" in John 3:16 who would be saved if only he believed. Jesus was as gracious to Augustus as he was to Paul and us. Jesus didn't want that Caesar should perish, although Augustus was the archenemy of and "god" in opposition to Jesus! (Caesar worship).

Today, people are still Caesar worshipers. However, its not truly the leader to whom they are faithful; people appease their own gods by demanding things they want. Many seek power. The left seeks that power. On the other hand, Trump already has power, and it seems that he truly wants is what is in the best interest of the citizens of America. I must give Trump credit. Whereas, I was angry and hateful, he was cool and calm. If he hated, he concealed it well; better than I would have.

What should we Christians do? Pray for Congress and the President. Is that easy to do? No! That's why God respects our prayers; it shows meekness toward Him and others. Who wins? The meek shall inherit the earth (Mat 5:5). Is that under Trump? Nope; it's under Jesus when New Jerusalem comes down replacing this chaos (Rev 3:12). In that city it is us Christians who will be "kings and priests". Until that time, Satan is prince of the air (Ephes 2:2).

Obama was in office because it was the will of God. Trump is there because that too is God's will. Like it or not, Hillary is not president because it wasn't God's will. As I stayed calm with Obama, I call on the opposition to stay calm with Trump. That's the sane and right thing to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment