Sunday, December 22, 2013

Rendition of the Eve before Chrismas


On the eve before Christmas, when all through the church.

The Bibles were laying upon the pews of birch,

Not a sinner was fearing, not even a drunk.

That Jesus was there; I had a hunch!



The sinners were comfortable all on cushioned pews,

And family were by them, oh, yes quite a few!

While thoughts of a fine dinner tempted their tummy.

Had just opened the eyes of one atheist dummy.



When up on the pulpit the preacher chattered.

He sprang from the seat to see what it mattered.

Away to the altar he flew like a flash,

For he was the sinner the Lord was to bash!



In the word of the Lord some saints glow.

While sinners thought of eternity so hot below!

When, what to my wondering mind should appear,

Jesus, on the cross, crying caring tears!



My wife poked me hard as I began to wink.

I knew at that moment I could die in a blink.

More quickly than an eagle the Spirit came,

And he knocked and whispered my own name!



"Now Cusser! now, Liar! now, Prancer and Vixens!

On, Gossiper! On, Stupid! on Dreamer and Sick Ones!

To the front to the altar! to the top of the cross!

Don't dash away! Dash away! Cold as frost!"



As dry eyes become tears responding by and by,

Then they met with an obstacle, the devil's ally.

So up to the steeple the principalities they flew,

With the promise of joys, and sinful pleasures too.



And then, with an eye twinkling, I saw upon the roof

The praising and singing of the angels aloof!

As I was confused in the head, but was turning around,

Down on my shoulder, came the devil's hound.



He was attired all in fur, from vile head to foot,

And his coat was all blemished with sulfur and soot.

A bunch of wolves all in a a pack,

And he looked like a meddler, carrying evil on his back.



Then appeared Jesus-I went from mourning to merry!

His love shown like roses, his grace for even the leery!

His angels singing songs all with a glowing halo,

And the souls of real men were made white as the snow.



A chunk of wood he held in his arm,

The wood from a cross still makes men mourn.

He had broad shoulders to carry all men,

The church shook when he carried away my sin!



He was serene and calm, and ready to help,

I smiled when I saw him, in spite of myself!

A blink of his eye and a nod of his head,

Soon assured me that I had little to dread.



He said not a word, but went on with his work,

And filled my soul, me who'd been such a jerk!

After laying his hand on so many he chose,

He gave nod, and upward toward heaven he arose!



He sang and smiled and sweetly made a whistle,

I saw that his crown was no longer of thorns and thistle!

And I heard him claim, as he disappeared from sight,

Thank you for a Merry Christmas, and to all who love me “do right!"


No comments:

Post a Comment