Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I Wish I'd Said That

There was a woman with whom I worked who went from "wholesome" to "pitiful" over a period of years. It was a gradual disintegration because sometimes Satan's plans, although well laid, must develop and grow. Few people change overnight from "respectable" to "despicable", but Satan realizes that for some, it takes time!

This particular lady had a marriage and I believe four children. At work she was wooed by the worst of the worst. The object of her attention was a suave handsome drug user. Gradually, oh so gradually, he used his charm to disrupt her marriage, then her children and finally her! I saw it happening and did nothing. Neither did I say anything! It wasn't my business to "judge" was it?

Many times. Yes, many times! God silently spoke to me. He said "Talk to her about Jesus!" I kept putting it off. However, as a Christian, my primary "job assignment" is to tell others about Jesus and his salvation. With this young lady "I wish I'd said that!" I wish it really hard at times, but "wishing" that the past was changed just cannot make it be!

Why can't I say anything to her right now? Is it because I would be "judging" her behavior which is a biblical "no no", according to some? In order to proceed with a pep talk on Jesus one must "judge" that the recipient needs the pep talk! In that case "judge" fits the definition "has an opinion of". Never are we to judge by condemnation. That is harsh judgement, and if we're not careful, that's the metric by which we shall be judged.

However, it wasn't "the fear of judging" that I never said what "I wish I had said"! It was timidity! It's difficult to tell a friend or relative "apparently you aren't a Christian"! Think how hard it is to say that to a stranger! "Someday!" I thought "I'll talk to her about her soul!" It too is possible that the person was a Christian, but had slid far away from her first belief. That happens! One conversation, in that case, could bring sanity back to living. Those conversations need to happen. We should never put off what we know that we should do! That's imperative.

One morning at work I heard what I didn't want to hear! This young lady had been murdered by her druggy boyfriend. He ran over her in anger three times with his vehicle. She was dead. Was she a Christian? I shall never know in this life. One thing I did know: I never told her about Jesus. "I wish I'd said that!" Now I can't. It's too late. This young lady could be in hell because I was timid and procrastinated. I failed my "job assignment". I failed to tell her about Jesus.

If she was a Christian who had back-slid, I "lucked out"! However, if she is in hell because of my timidity, it is my fault. Not all my fault, you understand, but I am one of the many people who is at fault. Many Christians stood silently by while this woman became more and more destructive in her sinful life. Most Christians, as I am too, are timid and procrastinating. This is one of the "sins of omission". Yes, we can sin by "failing to do things", not just by "doing wrong things":
James 4:17 "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."
I write feverishly each day. There are things I could be doing, but I write. For me my timidity is overcome by writing. I don't have to face the skeptical. I can speak to people without fear of pointing the finger at them.

Sometimes Satan says "Stop!" and I am tempted to quit my writing. However, if I do, truth may not reach some who need it. Also, knowing more because I study, makes me more forceful when speaking face-to-face. Writing is a growth process. With study writing increases knowledge and teaches better how to say things to those who are defensive.

I write everyday because "I wish I'd said that!" Now I am saying it! I can't bring back that young lady, but perhaps another will consider what I say and respond.

Paul and the apostles spoke bravely, but they also wrote inspired truth. Their writings have caused many to seek salvation! Paul never had to say "I wish I'd said that!" because he DID say that! He told the world about Jesus and died for that cause. Now we're afraid, but he was brave! Our audience was not near as hostile as his.

No comments:

Post a Comment