Saturday, September 9, 2017

Joy

I was wondering this morning. Paul had a difficult job - preaching to those who despised him because of Jesus. Was Paul joyful? I wondered. I searched his writings, and Paul spoke often of joy. This one answered my question entirely:
2 Corinthians 2:4 "I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation."
Paul was stressed out because of oppression and persecution. However, he said so himself, "I am exceedingly joyful!" It occurred to me that Paul celebrated when he was persecuted. Why would that be? Perhaps, he was making quite an impression on those who heard him.

When truth is taught, there are just a few available responses:
  • Accept the truth.
  • Ignore the truth.
  • Consider it without being convinced.
  • Reject the truth.
The king of Judea, Agrippa, was almost convinced by Paul:
Acts 26:28 "Then Agrippa said to Paul, “You almost persuade me to become a Christian.”
Why would Paul be joyous? He almost convinced King Herod Agrippa! The truth struck Agrippa, but he dodged it. Rather than being sullen, Paul was jubilant. What if Agrippa had been persuaded? Then he would not have been sent to Rome to appeal to Caesar, and the Romans would not have heard the gospel! Paul was joyous that in his tribulation, it was all for the glory of God!

Sometimes, admittedly, I have little joy in my life. Why? It's because things aren't going my way. I neglect that it's God's will that is to be done, and not my own. Paul practiced God's will! It wasn't his desire to be sent to Rome, but God's. He was a prisoner, and faced tribulation. But can you see the opportunity there? He was sent to Caesar to persuade the emperor. Who gets that chance?

Was Caesar persuaded? Apparently not, but many were. On the way, even his jailers were persuaded. Rather than sullen that he failed to convince Agrippa and Caesar, Paul had joy that he could speak forthrightly to each of them. Even in decadent Rome those in charge were as fair than in "Christian" America!

I am not joyful when people dislike me. I am not joyful when I feel neglected. I'm not even joyful when people fail to read what took me hours to develop and write! Right this instant, there are those who hate me for different reasons, and it does affect my joy!

I have trouble rejoicing, even in church, knowing that fellow Christians seem to avoid me. Perhaps I'm too arrogant or whatever. I don't intend to be but people have their reasons, and it steals my joy.

Before the Holy Spirit celebrates with us, we must be of one accord (Acts 2 and elsewhere). I'm not joyful when we're not of one accord. My desire is for families to be in unity. My desire is that the Church be in unity. It is my desire that I love people, and that people love me. That's not the way Christians practice their religion, it seems, and my joy suffers.

What is the cause of having little joy in life? It's one's attitude about oneself: am I focusing on me, or on Jesus? The answer is obvious when one looks at the ministry of Paul. People hated him so much for Jesus's name that he was forced to wipe the dust from his feet and leave. Jesus was hated by his own people. The Nazarenes didn't even want to hear his preaching.

We've got it easy but where is the joy? People sing "Joy to the World" as if it's a funeral dirge. Where is my joy? I've been blessed all my life yet let a few people change that. Of course, God wants us to reconcile, and if there is not reconciliation, joy is diminished. However, if we focus on self rather than the Lord, then our joy may not return.
Philemon 1:20 "Yes, brother, let me have joy from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in the Lord.
Our joy does not come from things or others but from the Lord. Why should we rejoice if we're Christians? Not because we have it easy here, but that we have the hope of eternal life!
1 Thessalonians 2:19 "For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?"

No comments:

Post a Comment