Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The "gall" of it!

 
Gall

You have the “gall” to say that ...you have the “gall” to do that! What does “gall” even mean? It's to “irk” one to “exasperation”. It is to really “annoy” another! My big brothers used to annoy me. They rubbed me the wrong way to the point of irritation.
.
My little brother, Dale, really “galled” me. I was mowing the neighbor's yard when I was about fourteen. I was hot and sweaty and... really thirsty. Along comes Dale carrying a 6 ounce bottle of Coca-Cola ®. I reached for the already opened bottle and took a long swig. I gagged in exasperation! Dale's ploy worked. He annoyed me! The Coke® wasn't really cola. It was an awful concoction of every herb and spice which Mom had on hand and it was really putrid! I was really “galled”.
.
What's this got to Jesus? That's my favorite question.
.
Matthew (KJV) 27:34 “They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.”
.
The criminal Barnabas was released by popular demand. It was the innocent, Jesus, who was to unjustly die. They stripped Jesus, put him in a scarlet robe and gave him a crown of thorns. He bore his own cross while the crowds spit on him. They beat Jesus beyond recognition. Along this terrible path Simon carried his cross for awhile. Then they gave Jesus vinegar to drink mixed with “gall”! He was then mocked and crucified ...instead of his provocateurs (hell-raisers), instead of me, and instead of you ...even you Mr. Atheist.
.
Psalm (ESV) 69:21 “They gave me poison for food, and for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink.”
.
Jesus was too pure to drink good wine on this holy occasion. He was offered vinegar wine and poison. He was offered alcoholic vinegar which had turned to acid and it with gall. Jesus's drink was infused with wormwood or similar compound. Jesus refused the drink. Why? The wormwood was given to dull the pain for those who were to be crucified. Jesus chose to go to the cross without alcohol or anesthetic. He would do nothing to blunt the pain of his death or to reduce the pain. Jesus chose to die for us with all his faculties intact. He didn't want to be “mellow” during his death. Jesus had to feel and endure pain for us!
.
The “gall” of them. They killed our Messiah! They killed an innocent man. However, God planned the crucifixion and Jesus lived so that he would die and he died that we may live! The “gall” of those who don't honor his name ...the “gall” of those who don't except him!
.
The “gall” brother Dale mixed for me was nothing in comparison to the drink offered to Jesus. Like those who cheered Jesus's humiliation, Dale had cheered mine. He had a good laugh at my expense! Unfortunately, many had a good laugh at Jesus's expense. That laugh went too far, but it had a purpose. It provided the antidote to gall. It gave us an elixir for eternal life ...the blood of Jesus!
.
I now laugh with Dale. He played a good joke on me and it's in the past. I have forgiven him and he has probably forgotten about his trick. Conversely, the death of Jesus was no joke. It was tragic … a man without sin. God in the flesh! He's forgiven his murderers. He still forgives those who continue to nail him to the cross! More so than not forgetting Dale's deed, I will never forget what Jesus did in my stead. He died for me! He's promised to forget my deeds, however, … my sins! That's grace!
.
The “gall” of them who persecuted Jesus to his death. The “gall” of them who still do. The “gall” of them who live a live of a hellion and refuse to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment