Tuesday, October 11, 2011

On Name-calling

Raca: And you didn't even know what it meant!
.
“Raca” is an Aramaic word. Jesus is believed to have spoken publicly in Aramaic as well as Hebrew and Greek. It's likely that to reach the most, Jesus spoke the international language, Aramaic, instead of the Jewish only language, Hebrew. Aramaic was the legal language of Mesopotamia and had been introduced by the Persian empire basically so that people doing business could understand each other.
.
The Aramaic language is the language of the Arameans who lived in the southeastern part of Mesopotamia in the city of Ur, the early home of Abraham. Arameans were later known as Chaldeans and still are an identifiable people today. The city was in what's now Iraq. Aramaic became the language of Syria, parts of Turkey, Lebanon and Galilee.
.
Matthew (KJV) 5:22 “But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
.
Jesus is speaking. He just finished the beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-11). The word “beatitude” means “blissful” in the Latin and is used as a “shout of joy”. The beatitudes tell how we should treat others. Then we jump into something less joyful … what we should not do! We shouldn't hold a grudge in anger.
.
Yes, we can be angry. That's a human trait given to us by God. The verse says “without a cause”. We need to look at “causes”. Somebody may cut you off while passing you in the car. That is “cause”, but is it “just cause”? No it's not! A just cause would be that someone struck you and like behaviors. We need a pretty good reason to be angry, so put the petty stuff aside. Most of us rationalize our anger by making a petty misunderstanding a “just cause”.
.
Then Jesus said “whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca...” If we're smart enough we figure that since we don't have a brother by that name, that there is an ultimate meaning. “Raca” means “you good-for-nothing moron!” or “worthless”. By calling our brother “worthless” we need wise council. We are to love our neighbor as ourselves (so said Jesus) and by calling another “worthless” we may be passing judgment on ourselves. Without God we're all worthless.
.
I weigh about 210 pounds, I hate to admit. If I'm 85% water that leaves 31 pounds of mostly carbon compounds mixed with some minerals. That sounds like fertilizer to me. With little nitrogen in our matter, we don't even make good fertilizer! That amount of fertiizer is worth about $6.00! We have worth only because we have a soul. God wants our soul, our being. It belongs to him because he gave it to us at our creation in the womb. “Raca” is much like saying “You fool!” It's as if Jesus was saying it once in the common tongue which we (in those days) can all understand then saying it again in Hebrew or Greek (the new trade language replacing Aramaic). Jesus said it twice “Don't call others a 'fool' “ If you do you're sinful and you're in danger! Jesus then goes on to explain that you've lost communion with Him:
.
Matthew (KJV) 5:23”Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 24Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift”.
.
Before God will commune with you apologies are in order! You must find the person whom you have denigrated and make it right. That's called “restitution”. We often ignore that and by doing so we're out of communion with God. It's not worth it, I assure you. Make it right and you'll not only be back in communion with God, but you'll be refreshed in the Spirit!
.
I was on horrible terms with a younger woman at work. We were at odds every time we crossed paths. I jeered her because she was my enemy. I don't know why, I just didn't like her. One day I was led by the Word (those same verses) to make it right with her. I apologized for my behavior, she accepted and I felt relief! Not only was I back in communion with God, but this woman became my staunchest ally and close friend!
.
I felt so good I looked up others with whom I was in discord. Each apology was accepted and a new friendship began in all cases (but one). I know I wasn't wrong in some cases for sure, but I humbled myself and apologized anyway. Obviously they had perceived that I had wronged them in some manner and maybe I had. It didn't hurt to give the benefit of the doubt, but just because we're right doesn't make it okay to have spite! The “spite” part is what God dislikes.
.
I mentioned that one fellow refused my apology. That's okay. That's on his back, not mine. I did what the Lord would have me to do. I forgave him and he didn't forgive me back. Forgiveness isn't guaranteed, but a renewed communion with God and a friendship is worth the risk!
.
“Raca” is a new word (for us in this age) and one which we should never use! Fool! A word we all know and one which will damn us. Whatever language, whatever noun or adjective which projects hate, God wants us to shelve it. He's serious about it and so should we be.

No comments:

Post a Comment