Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Lies My Mother Told Me About Christmas

I'm using Mom as an example of “what not to do”. My own dear mother never lied to us about Christmas. She never had to because we never got into the Christmas ritual, not because we were being “holy” by any means, but because money and priorities never allowed us to celebrate the season like most people do. While we never got material gifts (outside underwea and socks), we always had a loving family together! Our gift was a better than normal dinner, some fruit and candy and being together. We all cherished that togetherness which carried over into our adult lives. Christmas was not only a celebration of Christ, but a time to honor the parents who worked so hard to even provide for our large family over the years.
.
No, Mom never lied to us about Christmas! However, contemporary “typical” mothers begin the lie the minute their child is born. “Look what Santa got for you, sweety!” “We've got to have the best Christmas tree.” “I can't wait to open my presents! (and many sneak a peek as my own children did).” Society has fallen into a trap! “It's better to get, and what I want, or I'll throw a fit.” seems to be the practice. Not only do people expect a present, but they demand what they want! While decorating for Christmas is silly, but not wrong, we've taught the young to be spoiled and ungrateful! I've seen so many kids open ten presents, all of which were fantastic, then say “Is that all?” or “Where's my Xbox?” Your gift to your children is a “bad attitude”. “We'll make our children happy if we only provide what we never had!” Those are the lies your mother told you! Prosperity isn't wrong, but materialism is.
.
1 Timothy (KJV) 6:10 “For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
.
I'll take the liberty of altering this verse for clarity... “For the love of material things is the root of all evil...” because people don't really love the money (albeit the greedy do), but they love what money can buy. Equity is equated to happiness. Happiness is synonomous with prosperity. Fun results in proportion to possessions and activities, another thing money will buy.
.
“Lies your mother told me” results in a character flaw in the child. They become unappreciative, self-indulgent and proud. “Look what I got from Santa!” Excessive gift-giving can also result in confusion, lack of motivation, selfishness, mean-spiritedness, laziness, stunted emotional growth, and even hate! These can be symtoms of an over-zealous parent trying to make a child happy. These gifts are a result of “lies your mother told me” (or implied to me).

  1. Worry about what's in it for you.
  2. Equate happiness with quantity.
  3. If at first you don't get what you want, make life miserable for those around you.
  4. The value of gifts have to be equal (or better). “If mine's not as good as another's, I expect more”.
  5. If you can't afford it, there's always credit.
  6. Spend like tomorrow never comes. God will provide even after I waste what he is given me.
  7. My feelings will be hurt if I don't get much because “I'm me”!
  8. The Spirit of Christmas is in what you can spend.
  9. I expect gifts because I deserve them. (This is a characteristic carried over all year).
  10. Be more worried about the cheap gift you buy to tell someone you remembered, when all you have to say is “I love and appreciate you!”
  11. It's not a good gift unless others more “cool” would want it.
  12. It's home-made. Others will make fun of me.
  13. It's got to be name-brand.
  14. “I'm too busy to 'thank you'” .
  15. “I love to be with my friends at Christmas, but I can see my family anytime.”
  16. “Christmas is the time to party! Alcohol and good times make the day!”
  17. “Happy Holidays!” Not only has society taken Jesus out of the season, we as individuals have too! How much time on Christmas day is spent worshiping Jesus? Even thinking about Him?
.
“What's my point?” you say. You're breeding inbalanced people. Your children are taught poor attitudes at Christmas which molds their attitudes for the rest of the year. No, for life! You not only are lying to your children, but you are making narcissists of them. (I'm not speaking of everyone and all gift-giving. I'm speaking of the general attitudes in society which I witness at Christmastime).
.
Futhermore, you are contributing to the erosion of what Christmas should really mean to the Christian. I hate Christmastime and I even dread Chrismas day. It's the time of year when most people feel alone and suicide increases. It's a time when Jesus can help, but many don't think of Jesus. Yes, I love Jesus and celebrate His birth. I just want to celebrate it the way we should.... it honor of Him!
.
Here's the reason for the season:
.
Matthew (KJV) 1:21 “And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. We are to remember Christ because he came to save us! Although there was gift-giving, they were gifts from the wise to the Messiah. Be wise. Give Christ the gift... the gift of your love... and respect! Honor Him in a way that's honorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment