Thursday, December 1, 2011

Those Who Need to Listen Fail to Listen

What's a pastor's job? It is to preach God's Word. Well, why would he want to do that? A good preacher is called by God to teach scripture. There is only one valid reason: the preacher loves you so much that he doesn't want you to suffer eternal punishment! The preacher sacrifices a successful career, time from his family and solitude to minister to others. The stress accompanying preaching is almost beyond endurance!
.
Matthew (KJV) 28:16 “Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.” 19 “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
.
This is called “The Great Commission”. It's what Jesus appointed the disciples to do. If you're a follower of Christ, you're a disciple and you're called to spread the good news whether you want to or not!
.
You are to “teach all nations”. Have you ever thought that you and I would not be Christians if the eleven had failed to obey? Thank you Lord for their sincerity even though some of them had their doubts too! Your responsibility as a Christian is to teach all nations (people) and you can start with your own. A preacher takes this call as direct from God and responds. If you're a teacher, you're responding to the call.
.
The disciples are called to “baptize” in the name of the three persons of the trinity. That sets a preacher apart from the rest of us. Preachers consummate with baptism whosoever accepts his grace. The next thing is for the preacher or teacher is to tell the world of God's will... the change God wants to see in our lives... his commands. Jesus then promises that as we teach the nations “ I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.” You're not alone. Jesus is with you!
.
Ezekiel (KJV) 12:2 “Son of man, thou dwellest in the midst of a rebellious house, which have eyes to see, and see not; they have ears to hear, and hear not: for they are a rebellious house.
.
Matthew (KJV) 13:43 “Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
.
We are obligated to lead others to Christ, but first we need to be righteous ourselves. Here's the kicker. Not only do those in rebellion plug their ears to scripture, but so do Christians. Even Christians don't want to change! The people who need to hear the Word the most are those who're never there, and some are there, but fail to listen.
.
If you listen to any preacher's sermon, you can think of many who need to hear it. They're the ones who normally aren't there to hear the message. Then you have others who hear, but do not apply what they hear. Others need to change, but “I'm okay the way I am. God is so gracious that although I'm not perfect, I'll still make it!” These are lazy Christians... even rebellious. Then we have the outright obstinate and proud. They won't bow that knee for anyone even God! Pride is their problem!
.
I write a “Daily Thought” most days. I have no way of knowing who's reading it. I bet you that most people who read what I write are pious devoted Christians. Oh, yes. The casual observer may occasionally read one, but how many read and apply what they read? Each day I write I have a burden for myself, my family, or my nation. I write to reach them, but they have ears to hear, but fail to listen. They have eyes to see, but don't see. They have minds to consider, but consider not. They have discernment to change, but obey not! How discouraging for me, because I love you! And, as I write, I change for the Lord myself. What I study is for us all, including me!
.
I know my discouragement. I know that those I love just dismiss what I write and continue on. I can empathize with the preacher whose call and job it is to teach the nation. The measurement of his success is how many souls are saved. The preacher is disappointed when sinners fail to submit and commit. Even more disappointed is the “man and God” who experienced death for you. We not only let the preacher down, but we disappoint God and even ourselves. We know what we need to do, but rebellion is in our hearts! Was Jesus crucified for nothing?
.
I need to change. You need to change. We're all called to be holy and acceptable for the Lord. We're to be Christlike. Can you imagine Jesus engaging in behaviors and attitudes to which we cling? We need to pattern ourselves after Jesus in all things... not pick and choose., not on our own timetable. The time is NOW. Don't disappoint the preacher. Don't disappoint God. Don't ignore the call of the Holy Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment