Saturday, November 15, 2014

On the Bright Side

Truth has two aspects. Some dwell in the warnings of scripture while others have hope in what is to come! What's graceful, is that the choice is ours. Joy and hope aren't forced on us and we are free to reject those for doom and pain. Most people choose the latter. Perhaps "people are stupid", as Jonathan Gruber  says quite often! However, people fail to reject a beautiful promise, not because they're stupid, but because they are self-absorbed.

Let's take a quick look first at why Americans lost out by the passage of Obamacare. Gruber knew that Americans were too "into themselves" to visit unpleasant places. He called it "stupidity", but "apathy" fits better! People were so enthralled with "free health care" (sic) that they forgot the costs of "free stuff". They desired what the government was going to do FOR them, ignoring what the government now has the power to do TO them!

That's the same as daily living. People look at each day wanting the best to happen, but believing the worst. People fail to see the blessings which are so numerous that they are ignored in favor of any negatives which enters peoples lives. People complain about the hardships, all the while failing to see that our lives are easy because we are prosperous. Some may do without extravagance, but in America we are blessed by God's provisions.

We are to "count our blessings"! Yes, even "one by one"; as the song goes. How many people even look at their blessings, let alone count them? One person who calls me only does so with bad news, and that is often. My counsel is for that person to look at what is, not what could be!

Let is count some blessings right now:

  • I'm alive. I didn't die young nor was I aborted!
  • My parents loved me with vast doses of love.
  • I have children who I love and grandchildren as a bonus!
  • I have my health.
  • My age is concealed by my vitality.
  • I have a beautiful home in a clean city.
  • I have a wife. My hope is that she loves me.
  • I had a chance for a great education and I took it!
  • I had a great job all my life.
  • I have much in my retirement.
  • I've never suffered the death of a child.
  • My brothers are the best and my sister cherished.
  • Not only are all my needs met, but I have "man toys".
  • I have a great church and they are my family.
  • My preacher preaches truth.
  • I have hobbies which I enjoy.
  • I have a savings account with money in it.
  • I can afford dentists and doctors. I don't have toothaches now.
  • I don't have body  pain. My back doesn't hurt anymore.
  • I am privileged with living in America.
  • I have 102 first cousins. 
  • I enjoy the sky and the stars. I breath clean air.
  • I commune with God and he with me!
  • I have hope for eternal life. A great gift from a great God!


I could go on and on! Those are only a few of my blessings! I'm not the only person blessed. Most Americans come close to some or many of these. It's not a perfect world. There are people who lack loving families, a great job and so forth; but they need to look at everything! People need to compare their blessings with those of the people of mid-Africa. People need to compare what they have verses what their grandparents faced! Americans are truly blessed and blessings are a gift!
Genesis 22:18 "And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice."
Blessings are of many types: material prosperity, health, happiness and the like. All blessings are of God and if any person looks, blessings are there. However, we are to look on the positive side! What blessings can be had?
Matthew 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."
These are example of the blessings available to all, even the destitute! Why should I worry about my car breaking down when I put it in perspective?  I lost thousands and thousands of dollars thanks to government tampering, but I still have my life! Look on the bright side with me! The bright side of destitution and persecution are promises: the kingdom of heaven, comfort, God's favor, our spiritual hunger satisfied, mercy from God, we shall actually see God and be his children, we'll live in heaven, and we shall be eternally glad with joy!

That's the bright side of life! Even death can be bright if life is lived right! The things of the world are temporal, but the promises of God are eternal! What is great, that if we love and obey God, he will take care of us. We can trust God to supply our needs, and if it's his will, it will happen! We have a problem as humans. Sometimes things aren't in God's will because sometimes "good things" lead to self-destruction. I appreciate what I have now and love God for his blessings because at one time I didn't have! I appreciate no longer having pain because at one time I was in pain. I appreciate food because I have often hungered. I appreciate true friends because at one time my friends were not true! And so it goes!

Right now my life isn't perfect. I wish that I could see my children and grandchildren more. I live with the consequences of my past sins. It would be great if our laws were fair and our system perfect. It would be great if my church was full and my own sins were fewer! It would be great if all the people whose love I desire, that love was fulfilled! But look at my blessings! It's not what could be, but what is, and the fact is I'm blessed and you are too!



No comments:

Post a Comment