Monday, June 3, 2013

Strength in Weakness

In this day of pop psychology we are careful that no one feels badly of themselves. In children's sports, the winners and losers both get trophies. So as not to feel poorly of themselves failing children no longer get "F's", but "E's" or "Needs Improvement".   Classes are taught at such a level that achievers remain unchallenged just so the less motivated can keep up.
 
In college, some groups just can't pass the admission tests. They are allowed to be "placed" in college and given remedial classes to qualify, although the motivated are qualified before they apply.
 
The grade system is challenged itself!  Some say that intelligence should not be measured by a grading system because it categorizes students. Although, grades reflect an understanding of material learned, well-meaning sociologists want all students to "feel" as if they have learned.
 
Then we have adults!  They say things as "I feel like I screwed up!" "No!", Horace, "You DID screw up!"  I've heard people who borrow to buy say "I deserve this new car!" Again, Horace "You don't deserve it... you want it!"  You "deserve" to have what you have already earned. Buying on the credit is undeserving.
 
When are we going to face reality? Some of us aren't the brightest bulb in the lamp. There will always be others who are more deserving, smarter, more motivated, more successful, having more things and wielding more power. Inside our innermost thoughts most people see themselves as important as the president. Although the president is likely as insecure as anyone, he would like to think he "deserves" his position as well.
 
Truth is when there is a match between what is believed and what is actual. Frankly, most people don't have 52 cards in the deck. It's deceitful and dangerous to avoid allowing people to realize their own shortcomings. Before a problem can be corrected, it must first be defined. A little realistic self-examination can be a great motivator!
 
Paul certainly recognized truth and examined his own performance:
 
2 Corinthians 12:10 "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
 
Infirmities are feeble physical characteristics. Reproaches are disapprovals from others. Necessities are behaviors and actions you have no choice in doing. Persecutions are being harassed just because of who you are. Distresses are sufferings, and in this case, suffering because you're magnify Christ!
 
In 2 Corinthians Paul reveals his true self. He talks of his boldness and his meekness. He speaks of his strengths and his weaknessess. He tells of his successes and his failures. Paul was harrassed just because he was Paul, a person with physical "targets" and a person whose personal beliefs were different than most. Paul suffered not only because people disliked Christians and Jews, but also because of his meekness, bad eye-sight, slight physical characteristics and who knows what else! Here we have a middle-aged single man who does migrant work and frequents places where crude people gather, and what were they suppose tho think?
 
Paul was strong because of his weaknesses demanded that he be strong!  Adversity and persecution are great character builders. Constant praise without positive criticism makes most people weak.
 
Like, Paul, I have weaknessess.  Like Paul, I have strengths. My place is to put my life on  an accurate scale and recognize my gifts and improve my deficiencies. Some may easily see my vulnerabilities, but I KNOW mine. When I was young I believed inside that I was superman, but I truly feared my kryptonite!  I was backward, shy, poor, poorly dressed, poorly spoken, and an average athlete. On top of that Hoosiers where I grew up referred to me as "dumb Kentuckian" and sneered at my torn clothing and too big pants and shirts (handed down from oler brothers).
 
I worked on all that!  Now I'm too forward, outgoing, self-sufficient, fairly well-dressed, speak moderately well, but am still an average athlete. (No, I'm not affluent). God has provided my needs in abundance because I follow him, help others, am not jealous of the success of others and thank Jesus daily for what I have. (I will give most of it up when I die. I've just borrowed it for a short while).  I believe that I do have "character" because obstacles motivated me. 
 
God expects us to help ourselves, but when we do so, he jumps right in there and aids us. Paul didn't spread the word to the known world because he was Paul, but because he was Paul empowered by Jesus!
 
The moral here is that you should use your weakness as motivators and character-builders. You don't have to be stuck in the mud of life, slipping and sliding helplessly, all in tune to positive affirmations!  You can face truth and grab the hand of Jesus. He will help you out of that mud. He will mold you into a use that he knows and you have yet to discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment