Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Consideration

     "Considering" is to think carefully in attentiveness. Anyone can read God's Word like a storybook, but its meaning must be considered. My routine each morning is to read the Bible. Then, as the day progresses, I consider what I have read. This morning I read about Balaam. Theologians differ on whether Balaam was evil or righteous. I considered Balaam and his donkey, not just reading it once, but time and again. Why Balaam's story is so important is gradually becoming apparent because I keep considering why it's there and what it means. (I will share that perhaps tomorrow as I consider it all day today.) However, today the topic is on "considering." Scripture is full of that topic, and below are three instances:
Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God. (Job 37:14)
Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. (2 Tim 2:1).
Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver. (Psalm 50:22)
     "Hearken" is to be respectfully attentive.  Job was told to be attentive to God: "Stand still, and consider." Much of the time contemporary people do everything on the run. I do that, but as I do, I consider the wondrous works of God. For me, that is usually about the creation. As I run and bike each day, I marvel at the creation, and credit it to God; so much so that I wrote a book about His it: On the Origin and Survival of the Species. Therein, is what I considered about the claim for God, "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth." (Gen 1:1). I have spent months considering that one verse! I have come to the conclusion that JHVH God did just as He said! God told Job to do the same thing as he did to me.
     God's Word is applicable in "all things." One time I doubted that. When working on a carburetor, I prayed for God's help, then foolishly declined by thinking, God knows nothing about carburetors. Then I considered that God is a tradesman, and that He created the universe. Therefore, He knows all about carburetors. That was me considering the Power of God. Then God gave me the wisdom and He and I fixed it together! We can turn to God in all things. Nothing is too hard for God! (Jer 32:17). Consider that, and life will be much easier!
     "Consider this" (from the Psalm), if you fail to consider God, you will be judged and there will be no soul remaining to be saved. We are to remember God in all things. Every decision I make, I endeavor to consider that "God's Will be done." Life is tribulation because there is dissonance between our will and God's. Life is much simpler when we comply with what God desires over what we want!
     So all day to day, I will consider Balaam. Find what God reveals to me tomorrow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment