Saturday, January 24, 2015

Realism in Movies

Realism in movies is the Academy's quest. Realism is not synonymous with entertainment! The elite of the "Academy of the Motion Picture Arts and Sciences" reward their own for the best portrayal in different categories. The realism of which I write is the degree to which the script and acting match real world events. By that standard the Oscar winners would be the ones who actually DO on camera what those in reality DID!

Realism then is more than acting. It's copying. It's showing that the writers are of the same mindset as the subjects and the actors are just as evil, good,  funny, sad, talkative, sexual or vile as were the actual people they are portraying. Hollywood is obsessed with showing man at his worst. Those the most vile are what Hollywood suggests that the American public wishes to see! Where do they get that idea? The public votes for trash!

"How so?" you may query. When tickets are purchased for "R" rated movies, the buyer votes for more "R" ratings. By design, "R" movies are those which are distasteful to some or prohibited to the young. It's an attempt for the industry to self-govern itself so as to not twist the minds of youngsters and to forewarn those of us who are prurient, that what we might see is objectionable. Although forewarned that our moral principles are on the line, millions of Christians still trek to the theater to see Hollywood trash!

The movie American Sniper has been hyped all over the Internet and the news as the ultimate in conservative patriotic entertainment. I fell for that lie! Although, I don't denigrate the brave men who fought to save American lives, including my own, I do condemn Hollywood for it's over-attempting to portray the psyche of the American soldier.

I have watched many Hollywood movies portraying American soldiers in various wars. The actors did excellent jobs portraying those heroes, but the portrayal was one that accentuated their heroism. I'm sure that in WWI that many soldiers cursed and used filthy language. However, the movie Sergeant York, represented the soldiers of that war honorably and very accurately, although the movie never focused on the negative aspects of the soldiers. Not only was it informative and entertaining, it was not offensive for those of us who can still be offended! Viewers get the point of war and heroism without exploring the devil within the soldiers. What's more, it appears that morality has changed over the years and fewer heroes lead exemplary lives!

Entertainment does not have to be "real" in every sense to be a good movie! I don't need to see actual sex to get the point. I don't need to see actual killings to get the message, actors don't need to use real drugs to impart drug usage and actors don't need to incessantly talk filthy to get the idea that soldiers can indeed be filthy! In movies past, without actually saying, seeing and doing; the movie-goer got the message, and was entertained at the same time. Only those who enjoy filth would get enjoyment out of watching filth, and from a psychological standpoint, people become what they take in. Viewers can become acclimated to what they watch and be morally reduced to what they see and hear!

Much is said about "filth" in Holy Scripture, but the following verse says it well:
2 Corinthians 7:1 "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."
Filth is in the eyes of the beholder, but in the eyes of God the difference between filth and holiness is black and white. "Filth" are those things that influence the mind to dwell on things not holy. It's the priorities and mores of the world. It's the dregs of unclean minds and the actions of perverse bodies. It's ingesting the things of the flesh into the temple of the Holy Spirit. It's blaring garbage at the mind while trying to communicate with God. It's an action of rebellion to our Creator and disrespect for who he is! Christians know filth when it's there, because Christians are a "new creation". The Holy Spirit tells us "That's not for us!"

I've worked around trash-talkers all my life. They say every nasty word which can come to the human mind. I avoid their trash talk and filthy jokes. However, I hear some. When I pray, I hear those voices and their filthy lucre. I cannot communicate with God because of Satanic induced thoughts. Before I pray to God and for others, I must first pray for me! "Lord, take these damning thoughts from my mind!" Only after the Lord purges evil thoughts and filthiness from my mind, can I pray to him.

Some claim that they can separate the filth they are seeing and hearing and enjoy entertainment. Psychology disputes that, but more importantly, God does too! We are the flee from sin, according to James. Why? We are influenced by what we see, hear, and do. There should be no question on the part of the Christian what's right and what's not! We are to be guided by the Holy Spirit and if the Spirit fails to guide us away from sin, our relationship with the Spirit has been foiled by Satan.

As for American Sniper, I was ashamed that I was there. "F" and "sh" words were spewed as fast as the bullets from their machine guns. Occasionally, for variety, the writers threw in a "gd". Wow! How entertaining! (sic).  I had not heard that much filth and cursing in thirty years of my life... combined, and in only 120 minutes! After 30 seconds I was ready to get up and leave, but another implored me to remain so as to not cause others we were with to leave.

I sat there for two hours trying to not listen to what I was hearing and with my eyes closed. I tried to think on God's will and put the filth out of my mind. I failed! Every "F" word exploded in my brain and lingered there, interfering with my silent prayers and thoughts for my blog. Satan smiled. He smiled because Christ's disciple was listening to his filth. I prayed for forgiveness in being caught in this situation. I made a commitment: this will not happen again. I was miserable because I displeased my Savior. "What would Jesus do?" He wouldn't be there to start with!

My "movie review" was one word for American Sniper: TRASH! That's all that's needed. There is no redeeming Christian value in it at all! Things are either right or wrong and the devil continually shoved his garbage into ears and eyes and now people are full of the devil's trash. It will stay there until prayed out! I'm still praying mine out, trying to allow the Spirit to clean up his tabernacle again.


No comments:

Post a Comment