Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Memories of 9/11

     Many of us have memories of that awful day. It was a time when our world changed - all of ours. I have a young friend who was born on 9/11/2001. Her life will be forever changed, and I'm sure it will always affect the celebration of her birthday.
     I have my own memories of that day which I will soon share. However, it struck me just a moment ago, I wish others would share their memories! With that thought, I now provide a forum for doing just that.
     If I have enough participation, my plan is to write a book called appropriately Memories of Nine-Eleven. However, I won't be the author; you will be! In the comments section below, write your memories of that day. Don't worry about punctuation or correct grammar. I will mildly edit if it is required, but the goal is to have your memories the way in which you wish to express them.
     By commenting, you are giving permission for publication. You will be an author! You may elect to tell how 9/11 has changed your life, the lives of those you know, or even American life in general. As an example, here is my story:

     My name is Larry Herrin, I lived in Bowling Green Kentucky on 9/11/01. I was 51 years old when it happened.     
     I was at work at the Bowling Green Corvette Plant. It was just another routine day. My problem-solver, Michael Burton, approached me in the uniframe area and said, "There has been a bombing in New York City. It's on TV." I casually walked toward the Cartrac area of the body shop to watch on the television there. As we watched, a second airplane, not a bombing, tore at the second twin tower. In utter disbelief, because this is America, and our attitude was that this cannot happen in America, changed at that moment! Reality hit us.  
      Michael asked, "Larry, how are they going to get out?" Michael seemed to look at me for answers because Americans always get out! I answered solemnly, "Michael, they are not getting out." Michael's face revealed his thoughts. It suddenly hit him that thousands of people would die in that inferno. We all changed that day; no longer was America safe from harm. It took time for that change to soak in, but since that hour, life has changed for all of us. 
      Never before had I thought about even owning one, but I now carry a concealed weapon. My hope is to never fire my gun at another person, but with the new world, I must be prepared.
     Note the format. (1) Who you are and who those around you were,  (2) your experience and reaction, and (3) what has changed about the way you think or live.

     Now it's your time to share. People want to hear your story. People in the next generations can never compare the life before America's personality changed. It can be lengthy or short. It's your experience and emotions; you can write them. Please comment below. (Oh, one more thing: PLEASE SHARE THIS by using the social media icons below.)

No comments:

Post a Comment