Thursday, June 27, 2019

It Is Finished

     I started writing this blog in January 2011 preceded by several months on Facebook. It has been close to ten years of writing commentary daily. It has taken perseverance, and more than once I considered the cessation of writing. Somehow, when I was about to quit, I would get a word of encouragement from someone afar. At other times, I was satisfied with writing for myself to understand God better.
     My talent for God is teaching. I did that, along with some lay-preaching, for about thirty-years. Recently it has occurred to me, that although I perceive my gift as teaching, others may not. One elderly deacon told me to just accept it; that it's time for others to take the reign. I don't want to consider that God no longer has a use for me. That would be a sign that it is finished, and like Jesus, my purpose in existing has come to a conclusion (John 19:30).
     Jesus received the vinegar before he gave up the Ghost. The "vinegar" for me is real life. I believe that the sourness that Jesus tasted from the vinegar represented that most had failed to receive him. Just a short time before, on Palm Sunday, he had been celebrated like a conquering general. Then later, he was a mere criminal endeavoring to carry his own cross. Jesus's purpose had come to a conclusion. He was ready to die.
     Jesus died for mankind, on their behalf, and for their redemption. Although he was mocked at his death, he is still revered by much of mankind. Jesus's Word was received better in death than it was when he was living. My conclusion is that my commentary may be the same. It is my legacy. Although, I shall not redeem anyone, perhaps someday in the distant future, someone will read my simple thoughts, and think: That is so true!
     My plan was to cease writing my commentary at 200,000 views. With Facebook readership included, I'm sure that my goal has been met. All those readers have had an opportunity to consider Jesus for salvation. I could not go unto the world by any other means than by this blog. My own Great Commission is complete (Mat 28:16–20). My purpose in life is complete; as is written, "It is finished."
     First was the discouragement that Google's algorithm diminished my readership tremendously. The world had been my "church," but after that, merely the United States.. I was no longer going unto the world.
     Oftentimes I get excited at what God reveals to me. We all need someone with whom to share truth from scripture. To be blunt, I have nobody to which to share God's truths. That is dismal; being excited about God's Plan, but having nobody in which to reveal the Plan!
     When I was younger, I was asked, "Why are you always right?" My reply was, "Because I remain silent unless I am certain!" No longer is that true. I may still be certain, but the problem is that sometimes I'm certain of something that may not be correct. Perhaps that is a signal that it is finished. Credibility requires 100% accuracy. With age, my proficiency has waned. Now I am no longer certain, and must verify and reverify. That is my "vinegar." It's a tough "drink" to swallow, but realizing that my gift has remained unused so long that it is no longer a gift is devastating.
     Now is the time to end. However, that raises the question: Does God want me to end, or is it Satan's workers to whom I listen? Only time will reveal that to me. When the palm branches cease waving, perhaps it's time to call it complete. The sad part is that when Christians' purposes are complete, it's time the death angel calls. It is with great apprehension that I await the visit of the Angel of Death. Is the bell tolling? I cannot hear it ringing, but is it tolling for me?
     Have I run the race that God expects, or am I quitting very close to the end? No; I will continue to study for myself. Sadly, though, with no one with whom to share the Word, it is for me, to whom the bell tolls. So long, dear readers, it may be tolling for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment