Saturday, May 26, 2018

Depression and the Fear of Death

     Depression essentially boils down to fear of dying. People either fear punishment or annihilation. Isolation in life is a preview of both of the two fatalistic alternatives. People observe their loved ones experience death and fear the same for themselves. Scripture refers to physical death as a "sting" (1 Cor 15:55-56). Sin causes physical death but it also results in spiritual death. That "sting" is what we all fear because it is the prelude to the future.
     Death is highly stressful. If a dying person is conscious as the heart ceases to pump, it is immediately known that death is imminent. The moments between the stoppage of the heart and when the brain ceases functioning is a time of high anxiety. Clinical death occurs in about three minutes after cardiac arrest. That period is surely the sting one feels as sin overcomes the flesh. However, clinical death has no claim to the spirit. Mankind's soul is immortal but immortality has its drawbacks. For most, those last three seconds can mean that they know their destiny!
     My own Dad knew such a person who had a near-death experience. He didn't see shining lights and long tunnels with beauty at the end. That evil man experienced hell-fire and said so! He begged in his last moments that a sheet be placed between himself and the fireplace because of the extreme heat. That was to no avail. He had spiritually entered the gates of Hell! Those few minutes were when sin caught up with him. He died shortly after in agony. Hell may be just a moment away unless the person has "fire-insurance".
     I fear the sting of death but don't fear death itself because I will actually never die! Those without "fire insurance" will not only have a sting but be forever dying. That is a gruesome thought! When people experience inoculation, the doctor often says, "this will sting for a moment". For those not safe with God, that sting is forever and horrific. Unless one is right with God, they fear the sting because it will never end.
    "Hope" is the cure for that depressive fear. I fear dying but don't fear death because my hope is that I will never die. Hope is not hoping for deliverance but looking forward to it! Sin dims that hope. We never look at hopelessness as sinful but those with no hope have extreme doubt and little if any faith. I don't worry about death and am seldom depressed! It's not that I am certain of Heaven but am convinced of it! Agrippa said to Paul: "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian." (Acts 26:28). Unlike Agrippa, I have been persuaded! What persuadeth me? The alternatives!
     There is a third alternative to Hell or annihilation. That third choice is eternal life. Christians have that hope for if they don't, perhaps they have not been fully persuaded. I submit the fix for a life of depression is hope in eternal life! To be born-again necessitates that there is eternal life and it can be obtained by faith. With that trust, hope is born. Rather than feeling the sting of death, the person who is truly born-again will feel the ping of hope! 

Psalm 34:17 The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. 18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
     That appears to be deliverance from depression! That delivered me, and it can you as well. Wait... there is more:

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
1 Pet 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Jer 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

      It should be obvious with these few of many verses that hope is the outcome of trust. Why do people fret so much? They are of little faith. Faith is much more than lip-service. I know as I write this that I deserve punishment. On the other hand, Jesus died that I might live. He healed my spirit that I shall never really die! If Jesus's can do that with my death, look at what he can do with my life (and yours):
Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

     No one knows for certain the cause of depression. I believe it to be an outcome of original sin. Hardship came on mankind came with sin. The greatest hardship mankind bears is mortality. Mankind died spiritually at that moment to provide God the opportunity of saving grace. With that hope, fallen man should feel joy and be without depression.
     Right now I fear dying more so than an infant's fear of the dentist. However, I know that anxiety should last only a moment before bliss sets in. With a score of cavities, I remember well when the dentist fixed my teeth. I had seldom been without pain. When Jesus heals me for good, there will be no more pain nor anxiety. I look forward to that time and realize that I must die to obtain it!
Phil 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment