Monday, May 28, 2018

What do you expect?

     Families are intended to be a tight close-knit unit but not too close as to infringe on each other. Indeed, scripture supports the notion that fathers and mothers be set aside for one's own family. Historically families have lived in the same vicinity near the patriarch and matriarch. In my own church I think of one particular family and their patriarch and matriarch. Most of their families attend church there; all four generations of them. I believe that is the way it's supposed to be but not to the extent of becoming a family clique. I admire their family, and wish mine was like that!
     My own family closeness was dissolved by vocational opportunities. I moved to Bowling Green specifically because I desired to retire there and be with my family in retirement. I remain here but all  my children, and now step-child and step-grandchildren have moved away. There is a degree of loneliness in not having familial support and those who should be loving nearby so as to share life's experiences. I miss my own children and grandchildren tremendously. With separation comes detachment. This detachment is "separation syndrome".
     It is God's will that families be close. Therefore, it must be Satan's will that families be separated. Storge-type love can be lessened or even depleted with separation. That "syndrome" is somewhat depressing for most people whose families are separated. Even when I am with friends, I feel alone in the crowd, especially if they have family in the area and do things together. Church people are to be extended families. Members of the Body of Christ are supposed to be sisters and brothers, That is generally not the case in modern churches. Even when in church, I feel alone in the congregation. Those who are to love and cherish me are not there to do so, and that ameliorating feelings needs to come from somewhere. It doesn't come from most churches including my own.
     There is a gap between in what should be and actuality in church accordance. People are Sunday acquaintances but not daily friends. They do things but do them apart. Visitors have a tough time becoming part of the church family. Although many may attend a church to fill the gap of the missing family, oftentimes it is not filled. I ask myself often, why am I here? The answer to that, I've found, is that most churches are the same way. Therefore, I must subsist on God's love and forget about brotherly love. Strangers to the church often sense the detached church and go elsewhere.
     I remember one time a young man came and sat in the back pew. I spoke with him and found out that he was new to the community. He needed family. I asked another young man to take the time to welcome this visitor, and he agreed. However, he didn't. The first young man never came back.
     Thus, the church is divided and many don't even sense it! Satan operates in stealth. It is not particularly evil to exclude people but neither is it Christian! Whenever the Holy Spirit is vocal, it's because those in the Church are of one accord. (Acts 2). If one looks around in the church after service, there is accord but it is not one accord. Week after week the accord is among the same people. That is not only my church but most of yours as well. We are one but divided. Sometimes a piece of the "cake" is removed and no one even notices! Satan just pushes the other pieces together to fill the void and the church goes on as if it's a full cake. Then another piece and another squeeze, and the cake becomes smaller. Even the attendance board goes unnoticed. People notice that the cake grows smaller but it's still seems to be a cake, so they are still content.
     Rome was said to have been burned down as Nero fiddled. It was said about the French monarchy as it was destroyed: "Let them eat cake!" (Marie-Antoinette). The church is being destroyed as Satan takes away parts of the cake one piece at a time. Look around this Sunday and dust off the memory banks: Where did they go? of those missing people who are hardly missed. Some of the missing "pieces" are in friendlier churches but others lie moldering on their Sunday morning sofa.
     Satan stole away many of the pieces of the church; many noticed, but few cared! How long does it take to be friendly? How awful is it to include?  It's doesn't take long and it is not awful!
     Preachers preach. That is what they do! On the other hand, ministers minister. Did your deacons hire a preacher or a minister? I bet they hired a minister but got only a preacher! Sure he cares for the flock but the flock is malnourished and its growth stunted. The minister must be the chief shepherd who sets the example and leads the others as they garner strays from around.
     The first time I attended Plainfield (Indiana) Wesleyan Church, there were thirty-two people in attendance. After three months of training how to love (under the renowned John Maxwell before he became famous) the church grew to almost 350! He was the chief shepherd and the congregation was so enthused by his mentoring that they all became shepherds as well. There must be a chief! After he left, the attendance soon dropped again. The minister matters! His leadership is essential. His enthusiasm is paramount. Part of his job is caring about the numbers! Of course, the goal is for sinners to be born-again but to do that requires that sinners hear the message. Part of ministering is gathering the flock!
     After the flock is gathered, and the sheep are cleansed, some may stray. The minster's job is to protect the flock from evil ones! That's why David was made king. He protected God's Church - the Hebrew people - from the beasts who were vicious. Ministers are to be like David!
     After they are gone is usually too late to bring "them" back. There are signs that people are about to stray. Ministers should be able to recognize the signs. Usually tithes fall off, volunteerism diminishes, and soon their attendance drops. Rather than gathering the straying sheep, the others just watch them stray, and the preacher throws verbal rocks at them. Satan must be stealing them away but he is using God's sheep to do the scattering!
    I see this happening. I am willing to gamble that you do too! I have watched sheep straying and was lulled asleep as it happened. You have too!
    When I attended one particular church in town as a newbie, I welcomed an unfamiliar woman who came to church. She retorted, "I've attended here for twenty-six years!" To that I asked, "Then why have you not taken he time to meet me?" She was floored! I'm sure I made an enemy because the truth can hurt.
    At the same church, I led a visitation team of about thirty people. We cared for the scattering flock and gathered new sheep to the church. However, as the flock was about to grow, Satan sewed discord. One "Christian" woman even told a newly wed nineteen years-old girl, "I know your mother, and we don't get along. There is not room for both of is here!" Satan's emissaries did that and the preacher let it happen! The numbers fell, and even I left the church because of the discord.
    If the congregation is kept happy, they will be there. Everyone has a talent and each talent has utility. Those who are not doing what God calls them to do will stray sooner or later. The other sheep will merely bleat as they watch them go. The shepherd will just blame the sheep for straying.
     I hit churches hard with this commentary. They need to be hit hard! While everyone is singing with joy, silent people may not be joyous enough to sing. Soon they will be singing but possibly in a different choir.

No comments:

Post a Comment