Tuesday, February 5, 2019

I

     Yesterday I wrote about "AM" - the most important word in Existence. Second to it is "I" and it's objective case "ME." Other usages are the possessive adjectives "MY" and "MINE."
     Since the textus receptus is in Koine Greek, that language has always been significant. Jesus actually spoke "the Word" in Greek, and not Hebrew as he did before he became flesh. Jesus professed to be God in his repetitive use of the words, "EGO EIMI" - "I AM." The noun "i" actually should not be capitalized except in the case of the Divine Presence, but it is. Ironically the plural of "i" is the combining word "is" (i's).
     "I" thus came full circle back to "IS" and the Greek word einai (to be). One can easily see the connection between "EIMI" or "AM" and "I". There seems to be little distinction between I and AM and the phrase is sort of redundant. Ironically "IS" in the German is "IST" from their word sīn (to be). Our English word "sin" comes from Old English sinne, and was derived from the German language sunta. Eventually, sin can be traced back to the Hebrew śin. (etymologies from Merriam-Webster Dictionary). 
    From the etymology of the words "I" and "SIN," there seems to be a correlation. God is "I AM" and mankind "I SIN." That is implied in, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Rom 3:23). That applies to everyone: "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us" (1 John 1:10). Not only do we lie, but make Jesus out to be a liar.
     Sin is inherent in the "I". Sin is in our DNA, and the word "Adam" - "mankind" is intricately connected with sin. Theologians call that condition "original sin" and that is the propensity and desire to do as one wills in defiance to God's will. Just as "I AM" has a divine association between the two Words, "I SIN" is just as intricately connected. Sin is all about the "I".
    "I" in the Greek is "EGO." Sigmund Freud borrowed that phrase as part of the apparatus of the psyche (soul). The ego is the "reality principle" which controls the "id" or drive for benefit. Let's call the "id" the preference for pleasure over tribulation.
    Freud's "id" is the only component of the psyche present at birth, and acts according to the pleasure principle. The id corresponds quite well to the existence of the I's inborn original sin - the desire for pleasure. Briefly, the super-ego is the learned component of the soul which referees the other components. A derivative of the super-ego is guilt from the human conscience. Id is inborn desire to pleasure (Mark 7:20-23), and super-ego is learned sin from practice as scripture describes (1 John 3:4).
    "Psychology" means the "study of the soul." Whether its adherents like it or not, psychology is a religion. Freud even used Judeo-Christianity to derive his new religion. He recognized clearly what the Serpent meant, "Ye shall be as gods" (Gen 3:5). Psychology is so well respected because it is the Cult of Self.  It is the study of "I" - my ego and yours. Most things in Freudian psychotherapy were borrowed from God's Word and distorted into Freud's words. He made the Word scientific and hid the Serpent within his philosophy.
     There is much truth to psychology. However, the Serpent uses truth to deceive. He made life all about Adam and Eve - their I's or egos. It was really about the "Supra-I" (Supra-Ego) - the great I AM. Within man, Freud called the Supra-Ego the "super-ego," making each of us the gods, and robbing God of His supremacy. (Supra means "beyond"  and the term means "beyond the I")  Rather than God as the Authority, each of our "I's become our authority. We are the masters we serve, unless our conscience, touched by God, changes our desires (the heart.)
     God's faculty is "His will" and the power is the Holy Spirit. Mankind's faculty of "the will of the I" is powered by God in the beginning but confused by the Serpent. Whereas mankind originally knew only good (Gen 1:29), after eating of the "psychology tree," the knowledge of evil was imbued, displacing the Holy Spirit. I use the nomenclature, "psychology tree" because that was the origin of that new religion. It just as easily is called the "philosophy tree" because it's representation of the love of wisdom. Their God seems unknown, and Paul proclaimed themselves the True God (Acts 17:23). I proclaim that they had made themselves gods and their names were all Ego. 
     Listen to us: We use most often the words: I, me, my, and mine. It's clear who are the gods. How often do we think of EGO EIMI? It is always our own ego of which we think. "I am hungry," or "I want that." As I pointed out yesterday, John the Baptist would not even use "I am" (ego eimi) in the same sentence so as not to diminish God!
    Rebirth is returning to our genesis where the ego is insignificant - before Adam and Eve became egos. Before, it was about God; after sinning, life became mostly about those two "I's" Adam and Eve were made the "Is" (plural of "I"). They became "i am's" and God's identity was stolen!
    Regeneration is all about diminishing our egos and elevating EGO EIMI - diminishing our "I" and lifting up his "I."

No comments:

Post a Comment