Sunday, June 17, 2018

Dad's Day

     When a child I called my father "Daddy". To be sophisticated when I was in college, I changed that to "Dad" but he would still always be Daddy to me. That pet name changes a title into an expression of love! Dad was not demonstrative of love in a physical sense but his life was a standard of love for us all!
    When I was in my thirties, Dad's role went from one of authority to friend. He asked my opinion on everything from technology to politics to the meaning of Scripture. By that time, I had become my Dad. His example to me had finally borne fruit! Shortly before his death, I wrote to Dad on Father's Day what he meant to me. I believe it was 1992:

"A Father... someone to count on; Someone who cares." American Greetings nailed it with the front of the card and continued so inside but I added my own words to theirs:
     I always think that I should take the time to really tell you how much I love and appreciate you, but I never make the time. I credit you for providing an excellent example as I was growing up. I credit you for doing without so that we wouldn't have to.        I appreciate that you could have excelled even more if you had not raised a big family. I know I'd never thought seriously about going to college without you planning it for me. In short, you have been a vey successful father and none of our wrongs were taught to us by you. No one could ask for any more. I'll always walk in what you taught me. I love you. Larry
     Dad appreciated that praise. I know he did for he kept the card which I now hold in hand long after his death. It is a reminder to me that in spite of his few faults, that Dad loved us so! (Just like our Father in Heaven). Foremost, Daddy wanted than none of his children should perish, and raised us so that we would not! It took awhile to soak in but it finally did. The same goes for God's love.
    On several occasions Dad was on his deathbed. Each time, I rushed to the hospital to find only my smiling recovered Dad. I came to believe that he would never die! On the last occasion, I had become accustomed to his pulling through. I searched Hendricks County Hospital and could not find him. A kind nurse asked, "Has anyone not told you? He passed away." He died that day but he still lives on, not only in Heaven but in the minds of his children.
     There is one commandment which I never ever broke: "Honor thy father and thy mother!" It's there as an example of honoring God. Dad honored God and I honored Dad. There was none like him!

In memory of Elston Herrin.


No comments:

Post a Comment