Saturday, March 9, 2019

Tribute to Mike Rowland

     My first news this morning was the passing of my friend Mike Rowland. Death is heart-wrenching for those who are left behind. I am sad this morning that I will not see Mike's smile nor hear his kind voice, at least until I pass as well. I think of Carolyn, his wife, and her smile which seemed to always be there even with Mike's health troubles.
     After Mike narrowly escaped death before, I saw a new Mike; a happier Mike who enjoyed life so much more than before the scare. Mike became more dedicated to God and the church. He became more outgoing to friends. Mike was a blessing to all of us, and the memory of him will never fade. I want to see Mike again, not as he seems to be, but as he is. I know Mike; he surely is with Jesus in Paradise this day.
     Perhaps Mike doesn't have his new body yet; a glorious one, but his soul has been glorified. I can mentally see him through the sea of glass beneath the throne of God. The angels rejoice with Mike as his friends are sad below. There are no tears for Mike there because there is a reward for simple trust. Mike, I know, trusted the Lord. I could see the Comforter in his eyes. I looked deeply into his soul, and recognized the Spirit of God looking back at me. That was the love he emanated from his soul. Mike could not see me well through his dim vision, but I could see his Spirit crystal clearly.
     Mike made me happy just because he was Mike. He was so genuine; that's what God desires. Mike did not pretend and now non-pretentious Mike has his reward. No preacher need pray Mike to Heaven because I'm certain he is there. It is glorious in his room in God's mansion, but I'm sure right now he stands before the throne. All the tribulation has already became lost memories, as only the good is remembered. Marriage is for better and for worse, but the glorified only remember the better. Likewise, he only remembers the better here, and life is no longer a worry.
     I'm sure Mike was no angel because none of us are. On this day, he is with the angels. They no longer minister to him because he has his reward. Perhaps the angel who knew Mike so well will minister to another one like Mike, if there is another.
     Passing into death in Christ is Mike's gain. It is us who are left behind who are the losers. Death is just a sting before a temporary sleep. When the soul awakened, Mike was aroused to see no more pain or anxiety, but merely joy and contentment. His trophy is with him - his hand is in Christ's. Farewell, my friend, until we meet again. Mike is finally saved after claiming it all these years!

No comments:

Post a Comment